SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathie54_gw

Calif Probate - Public Admin & Public Probate Attorney ?

cathie54
15 years ago

Lost relative died intestate 4 months ago. Is in probate in No.Calif. They found NO known next of kin. (Had wrong spellings of names) We just found out last week.

Three of us talked to Court appointed atty (via phone) at different times. First understanding was they will handle it IF we want. The other two of us were told we need to find someone to be administrator, AND, we need to find an atty - "Preferably one who specializes in Probate".

He STRONGLY URGED this, and said they want it OUT of their office.

None of us have been thru anything like this before, but we are not able to be administrator due to Medical issues. So, we don't know what to do about that.

More confusing, Does anyone know WHY he says we need to hire a Probate Atty? Is this mandatory? Or, advisable?

They've already filed some docs with the court.

According to the asset summary, there's only about $4500 personal property, but there's Real Property (triplex) in which was 1/2 ownership...with a 'business partner'. (I'm assuming rental income likely)

Could it be because of the 1/2 ownership in Real Property that we were told to get atty?

Several County sites seem to be saying the Public Administrator will handle it if no-one "is willing or able", but it's sounding like we MUST appoint/hire outsiders.

There is a hearing in about 3 weeks for creditors or anyone who has claims.

I'm CLUELESS and confused.

Anyone with experience in such, can you try to help clarify this for me?

And, are we supposed to to something important prior to that hearing date?

Comments (7)