SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stw954

need clarification re. Mirage engineered

17 years ago

Ok, so I get that Mirage is considered a safe, good choice regarding finish and milling. What I can't figure out is whether that assessment is limited only to their solid hardwood.

Their pre-finished engineered is only 3/8" thick. Total. (We actually bought a box of the color we were leaning toward, and while yes, it is beautiful, but it is thinner than we anticipated.) And I am always suspicious of any company that tried to mix up "finish" with "wear layer" - as Mirage does on their website.

It took forever to find a well-regarded product with a well-regarded finish in a color, wood, and style that both my husband and I like. (That Mirage's pieces are alarmingly short is something that we choose to ignore or we will have to go back to searching and neither of us have the energy to start over.)

So is Mirage's engineered thinness an issue? If it is (or might be), how come no one seems to mention this?

And, very importantly, exactly how can one determine the ruggedness of the oxide finish on a product? (Although it is just my husband and myself, we have never lived with wood floors and are a bit scared of marring the finish because, in the end, we are a little bit careless. And accident prone. Practice and caution should take care of the "careless" part but the "accident prone" thing will still remain and so we are concerned.)

Comments (10)