SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Fellow Facebook users....question

Oakley
13 years ago

This is for you all on Facebook. I love it! BUT....are you one of those who either sends or receives those big block thingys, for lack of a better word, that says, "Is "Jane" a fill in the blank?" And then you have to click it or just ignore it, which is what I do.

I've gotten two of them this week from friends and I just hate them. It takes up space when my friends and I are chatting.

What I do is delete them after a day or so.

My question to you is, why send these? Is there a reason the sender does it? Is it some sort of Facebook game they have?

Other than that I love me my Facebook! :)

Comments (16)

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

I don't know about that particular one, but I have blocked all the games, horoscopes, devotionals of the day, etc. Whenever a new "thing" like that pops up, I block it, too.

• joanie_b
    13 years ago

I block all apps that I don't personally use and I definitely don't use any of the quizzes or apps like that.

If someone posts something from an app, that I've somehow missed blocking, on my page - I block the app by hovering my mouse to the right of the post and using the mini menu that pops up.

If I do decide to play a game, my settings are set so that my game activity is visible to only me and none of my friends.

You should go into your privacy settings and check all of the apps that are accessing your account.

Go to Account, then click on Privacy Settings

Click on 'Edit your settings' under 'Applications and Websites' on the bottom left side.

Now you can edit your settings:
    ~Delete apps you don't want accessing your information
    ~Conrol what, if any, kind of information your friends can share about you
    ~Control who sees your game and app activity
    ~Enable or disable 'instant personalization'
    ~Enable or disable 'public search'

{{gwi:1506332}}

Hope this helps :))

• Related Discussions

Anyone on Facebook?

Q

Comments (11)
    Sorry, but I have no time to add another compulsion. Too many already! but I would be happy to communicate with you here, and I know I am far from the only daylily addict here...but I am worse than that...iris, roses just flowers! kay
    ...See More

using facebook to promote local produce

Q

Comments (12)
    to recruit FB friends go into the page as yourself (not as the page owner) and in the upper right is a drop down menu bar that has among other things "Build Audience" Click on that and that will give a page with all your friends on it and all you have to do is click on the names/pictures and send an invitation. You can also copy and past the link to the page in your status. You can also copy and paste that URL into any email, this site, etc.. You also need to post several times a day for the page to start showing up on friends' feeds along with FB search (I don't know how this works but I noticed when I started doing 4+ posts a day on my FB page the membership started growing). Here is a link that might be useful: Boulder belt Eco-Farm FaceBook page
    ...See More

A plea to fellow GW posters

Q

Comments (62)
    mama goose that link takes you to a picture of what the page looks like with the Stylish extension - it's not a truly clear representation of what it would look like on your computer. I use Chrome and just added the Stylish extension - back to the old GW morning glories look!! There are now horizontal dividing lines between posts on every thread - a huge help. The type is crisper in the posts, although still greyed out as I'm typing this but that will change when I post the reply. On the main page for each forum the type is larger, darker and there is clearer delineation between the different threads - everything is MUCH easier to read for me. It's still a work-around and does NOT get Houzz off the hook IMO, but at least it's a temporary improvement and I can participate again.
    ...See More

Fellow Gardeners

Q

Comments (1)
    Lisa, are you SPAMing us, or am I missing something here?
    ...See More
  • neetsiepie
    13 years ago

If you hover on the message, you can then get an option to hide the post, hide all posts from that poster. The X says
    REMOVE, but you have the option to do one of those actions.

I'm not sure of the posting you're referring to, I only get something similar to that from my young nephew. The latest thing that is bugging me is that "Pesky just answered 'Do you prefer coffee or tea' with...and there is some poll thing. THAT is annoying as all get out. Not sure if it's an app or game or what but I just hide those posts.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pesky, that's basically what I'm talking about. The last "block" I got said that I answered questions when I didn't. The one I got earlier in the week asked if I was a terrorist. I hid that one immediately because even though my friend was trying to be funny (a male), I found no humor in it.

I hide the things. I don't use apps or play games, I'm just a chatterbox.

One thing that bothered me a long time ago is this guy put an old high school picture of me on my page..(is that tagging?) without my permission. Do NOT put pictures of me on my page unless I approve! lol. Even though it was a good picture, I hid it anyway just to send the message to the guy not to do that.

We weren't close or anything, so it didn't bother me. :)

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Never gotten anything like that, but I use facebook very infrequently - just scan my newsfeed, etc. I don't chat, play games, etc. Which is probably a good thing for me, I can see it becoming very time consuming.

I am going to check my privacy controls again though. I have things pretty private, but don't remember the aps. Thanks joanie for that tip!

tina

• User
    13 years ago

That's one of the (numerous) reasons I ditched my Facebook account. All too often it reminded me of being back in junior high (or even elementary) school, and being passed a note that read "Do you like me? Check yes or no." Urrrgh.

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

I'm actually making a new profile for people from high school & who I don't know in my every day life for that reason Jen. Someone I went to school with sent me a request; I was not going to accept because I wanted to do the new profile but didn't get to it. I opened FB mobile & saw a post by him where he used the "N*^^a" word- I posted that I don't like the word & that I know the kids use it meaning friend.. he told me off; said it was his page & could post what ever he wanted; then he unfriended & blocked me.

A little extreme. Maybe I'm upset that I didn't get to unfriend him 1st. lol

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jen, it doesn't happen all that often but once it does it just irks me. Other than that, I just adore FB!

I do have Farmville and other games blocked from my "main page" where I can go and it shows me everyone who's talking to each other (my friends), and I may or may not join in the conversation, but I don't have to look at their Farmville. Yay!

I reunited with 2 long lost 2nd cousins, learned a lot of family history because of it, hooked back up with best friends from high school & college, and I keep in touch with other friends and family.

We send short notes, for example my friends and I were talking about bad weather hitting OK. tonight, and wondering whose area would get the tornadoes. Just stuff like that, or looking at each other's pictures which is always a joy for me to see.

Plus, you don't have to "friend" someone who sends you an friend invite. I've gotten a lot of them from people whom I barely know, and I just ignore & they can't see my page!

I spend maybe a total of 30 min. a day off and on, on FB, so it's not time consuming at all.

• User
    13 years ago

You don't have to friend someone who sends you an invite but if you look at their page they then have access to view yours for so long even if you have it set to private. I'm pretty sure it's once you view theirs. I've had people tell me this. Just wanted to throw that out there.

• User
    13 years ago

I'm actually making a new profile for people from high school & who I don't know in my every day life for that reason Jen. Someone I went to school with sent me a request; I was not going to accept because I wanted to do the new profile but didn't get to it. I opened FB mobile & saw a post by him where he used the "N*^^a" word- I posted that I don't like the word & that I know the kids use it meaning friend.. he told me off; said it was his page & could post what ever he wanted; then he unfriended & blocked me.

I truly enjoyed reconnecting with some people on FB. However, once I decided to delete my account and began going through my list of 248 "friends", there were only a handful - perhaps 10 or 12 - that I really ever had any interaction with and cared to continue to keep up with.

Roselvr's story above reminds me of something that happened when I used one of those copy/paste status updates that had something to do with the support of LGBT rights. I have friends and family who live alternative lifestyles and I feel strongly that they should be afforded the same rights as anyone else. One of my "friends", a high school classmate who is presently the chief of a local fire department, had not bothered to say so much as boo to me after friending me, but he did take the time to post a hateful "NO THANKS" after my update. Ummm, really? I deleted his sorry butt. ;-D I really made an effort to be nonjudgmental with what others were posting, but sometimes it was just TOO much to read the racist, homophobic, ridiculous comments that were being thrown about. For me, I'm much better off just e-mailing my 10 or 12 friends. As for the other 236 or so, well, it was interesting to see how their lives had shaped up throughout the years, but after that, there was just nothing there.

OK, sorry to have highjacked your thread Oakley! I know a lot of people who use FB to keep in contact with close friends and family and for them, it works beautifully. So long as you're careful about who you friend - and I think that was my main problem - I just wasn't selective enough - I know it can be a meaningful thing. :-)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jen, I can guarantee you that not just anyone will become my friend on FB.

What gets me is old high school "acquaintences" (sp) want to friend me when I didn't even know they existed!

I got a friend request just the other day from someone I barely knew, and she sent me a message with it saying something along the lines of "I don't know if you remember me or not, we went to school together...when we went to school."

Meaning she skipped school and assumed I did too. And I never skipped school. lol I definitely ignored her.

Last night me and my FB friends in the tornadic area of OK. stayed up late checking in with each other. It was fun!

• tinam61
    13 years ago

I would assume her message meant when you all were in school together (since it would have been several years ago).

• User
    13 years ago

I think I would have read her words as Tina did. It sounds like was just alluding to having known you "back in the day." I received two friend requests from women who claim that we went to high school together, and I don't recall ever knowing either of them. I have a pretty good memory for people from my past too, so I have to wonder if perhaps they were confused.

• OllieJane
    13 years ago

Funny, I read it the same as you Oakley, since she had already posted "we went to school together". Why would she have added the last part?? I think you are right AND she must have you confused with someone else! HA!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I could have read her message wrong. Here's her exact words:

"I don't know if you remember me but we went to school together. Um, when we went to school. "

I thought she meant when we weren't skipping school. lol.

Either way, I'm not Friending her because I don't even know her.

I have to admit though, I've had to ignore a lot of people and it does make me feel guilty. :(

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

oakley - As an aside you can you use the chat option on skype rather than being available to chat with everyone on your FB friend list. Just throwing an option out there. It works in real time like AIM.

I have my FB account set to the highest privacy options, and still have gotten friend requests from "trolling women" IYKWIM. I report them, block them, etc. My posts, info and photos are set to "friends only" rather than friends of friends, etc.

I use my FB account to keep up with those friends and family living in different parts of the country or abroad. People I don't see in person on any type of regular basis. It is a great way to see pics of the kids dressed for Halloween or birthdays. I don't play any of the games, or use any of the applications like horoscope, etc. I think the more apps you use on FB, the more you are putting your info out there for the world to have access to.

Sadly, I think auntjen has hit the nail on the head about FB being similar to going back to high school if you get too involved or hooked on using the different apps, games, etc. For me it is easier to keep only close friends and family. I really have no desire to "catch up" with people from high school that I had no connection with while I was in high school.

Also, I have heard of more than a few people getting into a bit of hot water hooking up with old "friends". LOl