SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
china_cat84

Airing out a dresser help!

china_cat84
14 years ago

My great grandmother recently moved into a nursing home and was unable to take her dresser due to its size. So my husband and I basically inherited it.

It's a very nice dresser - very large, with a hutch-style top with a large mirror, light, and space for knick-knack type items. The dresser is very well maintained and looks like new even though it's several years old.

The problem is that it smells - bad. Grandma had a thing for perfume and she had gradually been losing her sense of smell due to her age. The entire dresser smells horribly of "old-lady" perfume. The dresser has been sitting empty in our bedroom for about a week and now the entire room is filled with the smell. All the drawers are open and being aired out.

How can I get rid of the smell? My husband tells me that the dresser is mainly manufactured wood/particle board type stuff with hardwood veneers. My mother suggested I try cleaning it really well with Murphy's Oil Soap. I just really don't want my clothes to smell like that smell and I'm afraid if I try anything scented (such as Febreeze) it will just compete with the nasty smell and make it worse.

Any advice is welcome! Thank you in advance!

Comments (9)