SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Legal Question - May have to sue? ;-(

sweeby
12 years ago

I'm not having any luck finding this information online and don't have a retained attorney I can ask... I'm hoping someone here will know and be able to answer easily.

I run a small consulting and software development business and am having trouble collecting a rather substantial amount from a client. They are withholding payment (it's not clear if they are denying or stalling -- very careful wording) on the grounds that "the work was not authorized".

This project involved close to 100 hours of work over the course of 6 months, working very closely (online only) with client personnel. The person who hired me was brand new to the organization at the time the work began, and did not properly navigate the university's labyrinthine maze of internal approval and payment channels. This contact was two organizational rungs above my previous client contact at this university, and holds a fairly senior position in the accounting organization. I had no reason to doubt his authority, nor had he. I do have an email from him agreeing to my hourly billing rates and work plan, which was followed reasonably closely. (This project had many unknowns, so no fixed fee could be estimated, which was explicitly stated.)

They've always been slow to pay -- but what they're saying now (my contact's boss's boss) is that the project was never authorized, was not budgeted for, they don't have funds set aside, etc. (My contact has been reprimanded for not following procedures.)

Anyway -- My legal question is whether the fact that their internal procedures were not followed and the project was not "properly authorized" means I don't have a valid claim. I can't see that it would -- (Talk about your scam opportunities!) -- but I'm wondering how strong my legal claim is.

For what it's worth, I do not care about doing any more work for this client, so filing a lawsuit is an option if my case is strong. But talk about David and Goliath! ;-(

Your thoughts?

Comments (68)