SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californiaplaya

Pros/cons of platform vs 'traditional' bed?

californiaplaya
13 years ago

I'm in the beginning stages of looking for a new Cal King bedroom set as the current one is 20 years old. Its still in good condition, but its time for something new. I have always had a 'standard' bed in a mattress, boxspring, and bedframe.

I'm looking for some of the pros and cons of a standard bed vs. a platform bed. I realize most platform beds sit lower and have more of a modern look. I'm leaning towards a sleigh type bed that sits high, so a platform may not work, but I'm considering all options at this point.

Of course there is the lower cost of just purchasing a mattress without a boxspring, and easier preventative maintenance of not having boxsprings to turn around regularly. But, does the absence of a boxspring sacrifice comfort?

I haven't decided on a mattress yet, but for the past 30 years, I have been sleeping comfortably on different mattress sets from a local San Francisco company called McRoskey. They're a bit pricey, but unless I'm able to find something more comfortable, I'll probably go with them again. There may be something better out there, but I've been comfortable for this long, I'd hate to start shopping for a different brand that I may not like.

Thanks!!!

Comments (6)