Making ketchup out of Tomato powder
13 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (9)
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
Related Discussions
It's been a while and ketchup questions
Comments (3)I'd skip the "skinning, peeling and coring" part as the KA will take care of that. Just wash them good, cut in half and put in pan. When you cut the tomatoe, you activate an enzyme that causes the liquid to seperate. Heating them with little cutting before that minimizes this. Otherwise you can cut them all up and later let the puree sit to seperate out, and drain off the watery part before boiling down. When I make ketchup, I wash the tomaotes, heat them up until they are soft, run them through the KA (goes much better this way) then dump them back in the pot and add seasonings. Some recipies add other raw veggies (like you mention) and then run through the seive, so in that case you would want to add them to the tomatoes at the start, and maybe cook longer so the flavor mixes. Then run through the KA to get rid of all chunks. I only have two people to can for, so I make much smaller batches of all kinds of condements and then process them in 1/2 pint jars. I make sure to write down the new measures before I start, so I don't get confused in my head. Though if you mess up on dried seasonings, it affects flavor but not safety. When I made ketchup, I started out with a tomato/onion base and made a sauce. Then I divided it up and made ketchup, pizza sauce, cocktail sauce and a few types of BBQ sauce. I think I ended up with 5 jars of ketchup and coctail sauce, about 10 of BBQ sauce and about 30 jars of pizza sauce....See MoreVinegar powder + tomato powder + powdered dehydrated peppers
Comments (2)Dave, Thanks for reply! I'm more concerned about the tomato/vinegar ratio than adding the pepper powder. So... lots more tomato powder than vinegar powder... right? Making up a care package for a good friend of mine bday on Thurs to send tomorrow. To me, the tomato powder is not as 'tomato tasty' as had thought would be. I just sprinkled it on & it might need some heat to bring out the flavor?...See MoreAre you a ketchup snob? Have a favorite condiment?
Comments (51)LOL! Writersblock, I think "plain" including mayonnaise must actually be a local oddity. California hamburgers normally come with mayonnaise or hamburger sauce (akin to 1000 Island dressing, but with different proportions, sometimes idiosyncratic to the chef), but plain means no condiments, and the vegetables on the side if you don't specify. Rusty, I only heard about burgers not having mayo/sauce when I was lunching with a friend from Boston. I think mayonnaise is common throughout the West. Which drives her nuts. :) When I was a kid, the lack thereof--in kid lore--was a telling point as to why McDonald's weren't "real" hamburgers. :) (It was probably the moms who first said they weren't "real" meaning that they weren't good quality food, and the kids were just trying to figure out why.) I ran out of ketchup, a few days back, in the middle of making Sloppy Joes. I compensated. The resulting mix was very tasty, and did have some ketchup, not to mention mustard, hot BBQ sauce, onions, parsley, S&P, bell peppers, jalapeños, and even some carrots and other odds and ends. That's what's so fun about Sloppy Joes. You can put anything in. It's like a salad. It was very tasty. Reaction? Needs ketchup!...See MoreTomato Ketchup
Comments (13)This one might be a bit on the adult side but no recipe is written in stone so play about with it. I have made it (omiting the red pepper) and it was delicious. 3kg ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped 4 onions, sliced 1 large red pepper, seeds and white membrane removed, chopped. 100g soft brown sugar 200ml cider vinegar 1/4 tsp dry mustard a piece of cinnamon stick 1and1/2tsp each of whole allspice,whole cloves, ground mace,celary seeds,black peppercorns. 1 bay leaf 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed. paprika to taste (optional) salt to taste. Combine the tomatoes, onions and red pepper in a large heavy pan over a medium heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, untill very soft. Push through a coarse-meshed sieve and return to the pot with the sugar, vinegar and mustard. Tie the cinnamon,allspice,cloves,mace,celery seds,black pepper,bay leaf and garlic in a square of muslin and drop it into the brew.Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer. Cook, allowing it ot bubble gently, stirring often and carefully, for 20-40mins. It should be thick and pulpy. Season to taste. My grandies ate it without comment which I take to be an accolade!!...See More- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

COLOR10 Reasons to Make a Splash With Tomato Red
You won’t duck at these tomatoes. See how bold red shades can play up architecture, light up a dark spot and add drama
Full Story
FUN HOUZZArt House on the Edge Makes a Statement About ‘Place’
Gravity-defying installation in San Diego features a cottage dangling from a university roof, challenging the notion of home
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMESimple Pleasures: Make Do and Mend
Experience the satisfaction of fixing, repurposing and creating things yourself around the home
Full Story
COLORTime to Step Out of Your Color Comfort Zone?
If you always seem to pick warm tones, or you stick to the cool ones, bucking your natural inclination could bring new energy to a room
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGTips for Removing Carpet Stains
Know the right solutions and when to use them to handle stains from coffee, pets, chocolate, ink and more
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZHouzz Products: Save a Taste of Summer
Can't bear to part with the flavors of summer peaches, berries and tomatoes? Then jam on it!
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGN8 Bold Paint Colors for Your Powder Room
Turn your powder room into a exclamation point with a bold shot of red, raspberry, hyacinth, rich brown or stormy blue
Full Story
TASTEMAKERSWorld of Design: Where Color Trends Begin
Colors go in and out of vogue. Here’s how they make their way into our home decor
Full Story
MOST POPULARHow to Remodel the Laundry Room
Use this step-by-step guide to figure out what you want and how to make it happen
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGN7 Striking Paint Colors for Your Powder Room
Whether you opt for a little or a lot, see why the petite bathroom is the perfect place for a fun hue
Full Story
Lars