SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chloe_s_mom

Decision time! Very dark hardwood?

chloe_s_mom
15 years ago

I have poured over the various entries, scoured the web, asked the advice of everyone near me, and think that I'm settled on my choice to replace carpet with very dark hardwood floors...unless someone says that it isn't worth the work!

Here's my long story (and doesn't capture the amount of agony in deciding, nor the agony that it has inflicted on my hubby).

My last house had walnut stained red oak, in a semi-gloss finish. And big southern windows. I said never dark floors again, as I saw bare footprints and incredible amounts of dust. I had large amounts of light multi-coloured tile on the main floor too, and it hid the dust.

We've bought a new build, smaller house. I thought that it would make sense to replace the carpet in livingroom, diningroom and hallway BEFORE we move in (two young kids, two skiddish cats).

I have been to so many flooring places, dragging samples home with me. I ended up ruling out strand bamboo, despite loving the look, as it was hard under foot and it had a too perfect finish (could see hand prints, baby drool on it).

I had my heart set on natural hickory until I set it up against my banisters (walnut stained oak). The thought of either replacing the banister and spindles or worse yet, trying to paint them or sand them was too much for me.

So, I *think* that I have finally settled on handscraped, UV-oiled (not sure what the UV part is all about, but there is NO sheen), 4 1/4 inch wide white oak that is stained a chocolate. This wood only comes in two colours - chocolate or an orangy caramel. I was so happy to have finally made a decision. Until I started showing people the sample, and everyone's first reaction has been: Wow, that is dark! And their second reaction is: you'll see the dust.

Thoughts? We have light beige couches, and are planning to get a white/cream area rug. I meet with the flooring guy tomorrow and must finalize my decision.

Oh, here's the link to the floor:

http://beaulieucanada-com.rebeltrail.com/en/hardsurface_floors/pdf/BeaulieuWood_UVOiled_en.pdf

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH