SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rocks911

Cause of cupping

rocks911
11 years ago

I am at my wits end about my wood floor. I have posted here and at other forums and have a variety of opinions about the cupping of my floor. The floor has been installed now for four years so I've had a good chance to see it move with the change of seasons.

The floor is 3 1/2" red oak over felt over 5/8" plywood over plastic sheeting over a concrete slab. A lot of replies I have had over the four years has indicated that this is not the optimum way to install a floor, while others have said its perfectly fine. The contractor was recommended by a freind who had the same floor laid in his house and has had zero problems.

There were some things that bothered me about the process, namely that his supply of wood did not come from his usual supplier, he said he had the hardeset time finding the wood which made me nervous because it wasnt who he normally did business with. He also left gaps in the flooring which he said would swell and close, well they didnt, he filled them. There were several other problems with the installation but the finished product looked great, so, I thought maybe I worry too much.

Fast forward a couple of years and every winter the floor cups badly in one particular area, more or less, last year five feet more that way, this year five feet more this way. But generally in a 10-15' area....very near my HVAC return.

So I'm thinking that with the central heat on all the time adding heat and sucking humidity that I might have a relative humidity problem. The humidity in my house is, as of yesterday 23%. Everything I've read indicates that an excess of humidity causes cupping, but in my experience, with my floor, every winter it cups badly, then relaxes for the summer.

I swear, every summer I think "what was I freaking out about?" and then when winter rolls around really bad cupping again.

So I'm thinking about adding a whole house humidifier, installed in the ducting of the HVAC and see if that doesnt help.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, this has become a mind numbing mystery.

Comments (14)