SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldskilodge

Hancock and Moore - General Leather Question

oldskilodge
16 years ago

I'm looking at buying a Hancock and Moore Sofa for the TV room.

I have a family with two kids (two teenagers). Due to the little kids, I've never had leather furniture.

I really like the Sofa outfitted in the nice leather (grade 1, unprotected), but I can't afford to have such expensive furniture trashed. However, I really like the look in the real nice, unprotected, leather.

How does the grade one buffalo type leather hold up in the real world? Does it age well in real use? Or I am better off biting the bullet and buying the shiny leather and being happy knowing that spills and life can be wiped off?

Is the shiny leather just as suceptible to tears, splits, and rips? Or even more so? Or does the "protection" also make the leather better suited for handing scratches and tearing? In my layperson mind, I'm thinking the Grade A (unprotected) leather may be thicker. Is this true or just an incorrect assumption?

The sofa won't be in the front of the house and it doesn't have to stay in museum condition, however, it needs to last a long time and I do have two kids.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)