SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
perunapete_gw

Hancock & Moore Leather Choices; Klaussner

perunapete
17 years ago

Thanks to all that post hereÂI have learned a lot since starting to read old threads last week. My wife and I are looking to buy a quality leather sofa, chair, and ottoman and have just about decided to get the H&M Evening sofa, chair and Ottoman. I have a question regarding leather choice. We really like the lower sheen look and thicker feel of the Montana leather, but it is unprotected. We donÂt like the shiny look and feel of the protected leathers that we saw, and those also seemed very thin and almost lightweight (just describing how they compared, I know they are all first quality). Several retailers have said they can put a Guardsman protective coating on the Montana and the coating will not affect the look, just make it more durable and cleanable. We do not have pets in the house, but have two small children, and I am sure at some point my wife and I will spill something on it that needs to be cleaned up. IÂve heard that unprotected leathers are for people that can replace the piece every five years, and we are definitely not in that category. At the same time, if we are ready to pay 5k for this set, it seems penny-wise-pound-foolish not to spend a bit more to get the leather we would really like.

If we decide not to go with the H&M, we may get a Klaussner sofa. This sofa is constructed with 13-ply hardwood plywood and drop-in, eight-way-hand-tied coils. I would really appreciate any comments on this method of construction and Klaussner in general. I have seen a couple past comments that the cushions sag, but we are looking at loose cushion styles, so it should be easy to add fiber-fill to the back of the cushion if itÂs necessary. The lowest price I have found for this set is 3800, and that price includes their highest quality leather which is thicker and has the combination of softness and durability (wax finish per salesman) we would prefer. WeÂd like for this sofa to be the last one we buy, so I donÂt know if that is reasonable without going with the absolute best available (of course, if the unprotected leather wonÂt last, whatÂs the point?)

BTW, thanks to everyone that has mentioned the discounters (Lex, etc.). I would never have thought of this. Sorry for the long post, but I really want to get this purchase right, and from reading the past threads it is clear that there are a lot of very knowledgable folks here. Josh

Comments (10)