SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foodonastump

Thank you JessyF!!! And RiverRat!

foodonastump
14 years ago

A couple weeks ago Jessy was looking at a year-old thread about Karen's chili and noticed how at the time I said I couldn't find mole paste anywhere. So off to the store and post office she went and next thing I knew I had a little package in the mailbox:

{{gwi:1489452}}

On Friday I made a big batch of chili for a ski trip to Lake Placid. Unfortunately that trip got cut short so I brought it home with me before I could share it. (It still needed finishing touches and garnishes and I knew no one left would treat it right!) Last night we invited over my friend who came home early with us and we each had several helpings of chili served over rice. It was awesome, better than I remembered (maybe because of the mole?) and he couldn't stop raving. Even my wife loved it and had large seconds, and that's not typically her favorite type of food.

So thank you Jessy, that was really sweet! And thanks again, Karen, for bringing us a great recipe. I've recopied it below.

Beef Chili with Ancho, Mole, and Cumin

8 servings.

Chili:

1 tablespoon cumin seeds

4 bacon slices, chopped

1 4-pound boneless chuck roast, trimmed, cut into - to ¾-inch cubes

1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)

4 (or more) large garlic cloves, chopped

3½ cups (or more) beef broth, divided

¼ cup pure ancho chili powder

¼ cup Texas-style chili powder blend (such as Gebhardt)

1 tablespoon mole paste

2 teaspoons (or more) salt

2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

1½ teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled

1 to 2 tablespoons masa (corn tortilla mix)

¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)

Garnishes:

Warm, freshly cooked or drained canned black beans

Chopped white, red, and/or green onions

Grated cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, or queso fresco

Sliced fresh or pickled jalapeño chiles

Sour cream

Tortilla chips or oyster crackers

Toast cumin seeds in heavy small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes. Cool; grind finely in spice mill or in mortar with pestle.

Sauté bacon in large pot over medium-high heat until brown and crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to large bowl.

Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Working in 4 batches, sauté beef in drippings in pot until browned, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer beef and most drippings to bowl with bacon.

Add onion and garlic to pot. Sauté until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add ½ cup broth to pot. Bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits. Return beef, bacon, and any accumulated juices to pot. Mix in ancho chili powder, Texas-style chili powder, mole paste, 2 teaspoons salt, vinegar, oregano, and cumin seeds. Add 3 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low and simmer gently uncovered until beef is very tender, stirring occasionally and adding more broth by ½ cupfuls if chili is dry, about 2½ hours or more. Mix in masa by teaspoonfuls to thicken chili or add more broth by ¼ cupfuls to thin. Season chili with salt, pepper, and cayenne, if desired. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cool 1 hour. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm over low heat.)

Set out garnishes as desired. Ladle chili into bowls and serve.

Bon Appétit, February 2009

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!