SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlc102482

Will I regret a soft wood floor in a high traffic area?

jlc102482
13 years ago

Hello, this is crossposted from the Old House forum. It was suggested I try my question here - hope no one minds! :)

There is a fir (I think) subfloor under 2 layers of linoleum in my kitchen. It was installed in 1949, so it is not old growth wood. The subfloor is visible in the basement and while it's a great color, it's also soft. I can make a small dent in it with my fingernail if I press hard.

My original idea was to tear up the lino and use this fir subfloor as the regular floor. I don't except it to wear as well or look the same as the oak hardwood floors in the rest of the house. I'm OK with it looking "rustic" or lived in, and I know it won't look like hardwood. But now I'm wondering if it might wear to the point of looking like heck. The kitchen is a high traffic area to begin with, and the most frequently used entrance door to the house is located there. We're a family of two adults and also have a cat (trimmed but not declawed).

So, is it a really bad idea to use a semi-soft subfloor as a regular floor in a high-traffic area? If the subfloor did end up looking really beat up, it would be a while before I could save up to install hardwood.

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Comment (1)