SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

and a little more...through the 15th.

User
14 years ago

Got back to the library but they are very unfriendly here and very rule bound. Only have 9 min left. sigh....here is all I have for you. I miss having the leisure to read all the topics. I will have to spend months cathcing up later. Thank you for all the sweet support. c

April 13th Tues.

Left the campsite early and went to Walmart to resupply. We usually carry 2-3 days of dinner makings and then Gator aid powder and bagels and some yogurt and fruit. The yogurt keeps for days w/o refrigeration which is great. I also needed new tent stakes as the ones Bill gave me with the tent bent too easily in the rocky ground. We rode Hwy 185 out of La Masilla and saw miles and miles more of the beautiful fields of onions, alfalfa and the orchards of pecans ( not sure what they are called...) Mostly flat the 1st half of the ride. Stopped in Hatch NM, which is the chilie capital of the world. The hold a huge festival here and it is the major grower in the world and the industry is growing ever greater , we were told.

We had lunch at the tiny museum here. There will be a Space port built here. If you are not familiar with this it is "interesting " reading. The founder of Amazon has bought up almost every ranch in TX on the west side ( this from the owner of the Red Rock Ranch that we toured) and is also doing the same in NM. He plans to build a place that will allow very wealthy, adventure inclined folks to go into space for a few minutes ??? . Wow what a GREAT use of his money....

Riding on there are wind gusts of 20 mph but not too bad and only small hills. I am really able to spin in the wind now and always get to 10 mph no matter how bad it is...have to not work against it. Thank you Pete !

We stopped near the Percha Dam at the river part of the state park. We wanted to be on the lake part but the well is dry so they closed the camping area. Of course this is a huge problem out west. The wells are drying up and at Red Rock she told us they have wells that are 1500 ft deep. This campground has the showers and sinks on timers so you don't waste water. Have to push a button every few minutes. There is a LOT of wind but with the new tent stakes my tent ain't going to get away :)

Fixed a mashed potato dish tonight. They are in a bag and made by the Idaho brand. Add boiling water a and some more of my cabot cheese and a small can of boneless chicken...herb de provence and it is a very tasty dinner. Had a leftover oatmeal cookie for dessert.

A guy walked over to our campsite and told us how amazing he thought we were for doing this huge trip. I told him, with a straight face, that we have a van up the road that drops us off and we set up camp and get out ALL of our stuff and practice " looking good".....it gets a lot of attn. I must say he paused as if he believed me ! It was a good laugh.

Wed Apr 14th---60 miles today. Here are some stats for you...

Cabella is at 4190 ft elevation When we rode into take a break for our AM coffee there was an exercise group in the next room and they were riding stationary bikes. They are called the " Huff and Puff Club" and they meet a few times a week to exercise together. They made me an honorary member ! Yeah ! They said they figured I deserved it :)

Hillsboro is at 5180 ft. Fabulous cafe here and I had a breakfast sandwich and then I couldn't resist, I bought a big piece of Mumble berry pie to eat when I get to the top of the first big climb. Do you know what Mumble berry is ? I didn't. She said it is rhubarb and 3 different berries...it was so good looking and she had just taken it out of the oven...into the trailer it goes for later.

1 PM passing through Kingston...it is a wide place in the road...they are the world center for the Spit and Whittle Club...at least that is what the sign says at the edge of town. I am riding alone as I can climb alot faster with my smaller gears than K and P. I stopped for a few minutes to rest. The wind is picking up. This is the Gila Natl. Forest now. The climbs are going at 5 mph so far and no heavy breathing...just spin.

Caballo to Hillsboro was 20 miles. Hillsboro to Kingston was 9 miles. Kingston to the pass is 8 miles climb of switch backs took 1 hr and 50 min. ended at 8250 ft elevation. On the way up I passed one of Ted Turner's ranches , the Ladder H. Incredible views and the trees are so green and beautiful. The vistas are so hard to describe...I did stop and get some pics.

At the top of the pass there were 2 cowboys getting their horses from a trailer to go riding. I asked if I could take their pic and so I have a nice one to remember. There is snow on the ground in places. It is truly amazing up here. K and P arrive as do a couple who are driving the old Route 66. The give me the names of the books they are using and I hope I can do it before it is all gone. They said that places that were listed 2 years ago are now closed. One road they drove on is under 2 ft of light dirt...have to have a truck to drive it.

I avg 7.9 mph to the top of the pass. !!! YEAH ! I rock. It was 8.5 avg by the end of the day when the downs were added in. My pie was fantastic and I have a pic of me chowing down at 8250 ft. The down was not all down...ups and then downs again. It was fun. My bike will coast at 30 easily and above that but I use my breaks as I want to be here a long time and the roads are sharp switchbacks.

We camped at a great place where they let us use the kitchen and they talked all evening to us. Very nice people The man makes something wonderful and is making one for my sweet Robert as a retirement present...I will get it when I get home. Surprise!

Thurs April 15th _ 52 miles.

Great AM breakfast...I KNOW you love to hear what I am concocting for my meals. I took canned pineapple and added it to the inst. maple nut oatmeal...oh my.. I added extra honey and some of the pecans we bought...it was the best thing I have ever eaten for breakfast. At our coffee stop I bought an apple juice for later. Things stay pretty cool in my bag when I bury them in my clothes.

Long steady climb to Lake Roberts. Absolutely fantastic valley to ride through. The lushness of the fields and the high peaks in the distance...well it is certainly a treat for the eyes. I think this is the best part of being out west , is being able to see long distances. Kim and I are riding this pass alone. Pete was worn out and his knees were sore. He is getting a ride to the end of the ride in Sliver City NM.

It took me 2hr and 40 min to ride the 25 miles to Breath Inn....had a great lunch with Kim and watched the hummingbirds flit around the feeders through the windows. They actually hold a festival here to celebrate the hummers....( not the car kind LOL). They have 10 different kinds in the area. We only see one.

I stopped at the first crossing of the Continental Divide..elev. 6599. Got a pic. It is an easy ride so far. On to Pinos Altos. This is the 18 mile climb. Then it will be more or less all down the 8 miles to Sliver City. Istarted the 18 miles at 12:30 PM. - 2: 09 PM to the top of the peak!!! At 2:30 PM the elev is 7200 ft. Crossed the Con Div again on the way down to Pinos Altos. It took me 3hr and 30 min from Lake Roberts to P.A. There was another large climb in up and over a peak in there somewhere. This is a funny story. I was riding ahead of Kim. I kept wondering where it was. I knew I had done the first as it was so long and the switch backs were neverending. So where is the 2nd climb ???? I saw a rider coming toward me...I waved him down and asked...he looked at me so funny and said," you already did it !". WHAT ? How can that be ??? Kim rode up and we had a good laugh with the guy about this. We are still surprised. He turned around and rode us to P,A and we had ice cream and ....you guessed it PIE ! I love pie. Then he rode us into S.C and to the campground. Very nice guy. Oh only one issue with him though. Funny story. He carried a 9 mm pistol . I asked him why. He said he was so sick of the dogs attacking him when he rides. I pointed out that it is the fault of the owners...not the dogs. He quipped..." yes but they don't let you shoot the owners !". Ha...keep your dogs tied up I guess is the lesson to learn from this. Total riding time 6 hrs. We ate at Diana's in S C and had a great meal and live music...I had a whole pesto pizza and a huge spinach salad. Then Pete and I walked to the grocery and I bought a pint of Hagan Daaz vanilla ic and ate it all ! Oh my...I am still loosing weight !

Comment (1)