SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amazes_gw

removing a wood burning fireplace

amazes
19 years ago

We are currently working on a whole house renovation of a 1960's era home in MN. We have a wood burning fireplace (in what was once a family room but we have converted to a kitchen) we would like to completely remove. Could it be as easy as removing the brick surround, covering the fireplace with sheetrock and removing the exterior brick? Is there anything structural about the exterior brick on a fireplace? The exterior brick is 2 stories high. My husband thought maybe we could do the removal ourselves but I said I'd check to see if anyone here knows about possible building code isues for removing the fireplace first :)

We plan to add a gas fireplace to the living room during another phase of our project so I'll read the forum for advice regarding the *best* gas fireplaces when we get to that point! I have been an avid reader of the forum while we have been working on our renovation but this is my first question. I am so impressed with the advice I have read from the gardenweb forums! Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (5)