SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovemakes4wallsahome

Kahrs oil finished floors- a good choice for variable climate?

Jordan E
10 years ago

Hi all!
I've been stalking these forums for months and I've finally decided to start asking some advice!

My husband and I are beginning the remodeling process on our 1960's bi-level home. It's our first house and while my husband and I are definitely handy, we're both nervous about starting major renovations and making big decisions. We've been debating flooring options, considering practicality for our lifestyle, price point and the variable indoor climate we have. The floor will be installed in an entryway (concrete subfloor on ground level), kitchen-dining-living open concept area, and in a hallway to the bedrooms on the main level, on an above grade plywood subfloor. We will have a professional install them.

We have a swamp cooler for the summer and our humidity level gets around 60%+, but during the winter we have electric baseboards and our humidity levels plummet to between 10-15%. Some installers we've talked to express concern for the huge swings in humidity for hardwood, saying that we need to find an alternative or install a whole home humidifier (not an option... too much $$ to run ducting!).

We finally settled on the idea that we needed to look for an alternative to wood and looked heavily into luxury vinyl tile, specifically the Mannington and Karndean lines. We ended up being excited that they seemed so low maintenance (we have a large dog... and let's be honest, I spill. I walk through the house with wet shoes or high heels. I don't make guests take their shoes off. I'm not perfect, and I like being able to LIVE in a house, not constantly worrying about the floors.)

However while shopping, the sales associate introduced us to Kahrs engineered wood flooring-- I mean she RAVED about them-- saying that it would be good for our issues with humidity. She also strongly recommended the oil finish for a lower-maintenance finish (as far as scratches and that sort of thing).

I suppose my questions are: 1) Does anyone have an opinion about putting hardwood in at all with the swings in humidity that we're seeing and 2) Is Kahrs really as wonderful as this lady claims? It's pricey, but pretty much in the same range as the high end luxury vinyl planks we were looking at. 3) Is the oil finish the right choice for a lower maintenance option?

Once I looked at the Kahrs, I got excited again thinking that we could have wood-- but I'd hate to spend a ton of money on something that will gap and swell and look terrible in a year or something that is high maintenance to care for! I'm feeling SO LOST!

Thanks for any thoughts!

(The picture I included is just a preview in a virtual showroom on the Kahrs website of the finish I like.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Why Kahrs Claims to be Good for Changing Climates

Comments (6)