SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daknits

Struggling with engineered wood floor choice, please help!

R S
7 years ago

Hi all,

For weeks I have been searching for the right engineered floor (I live in Miami, and this is being installed on a concrete slab on our second story floor). I want an Oak or a Hickory with a plank that's between 7-8" wide, is made in America or by a highly reputable company that I don't have to worry about chemicals, has a highly durable finish (I would not re-sand the floors in the future, so wear layer is less important to me as a durable finish), and is smooth to the touch (it can be lightly wire-brushed, but not rough, and no hand-scraping -- I don't like the look). I thought I finally found a floor that was my perfect color (brown with a gray undertone, no red), and met every one of the above criteria ... it's the GreyBridge Hickory from the Choice Collection made by From the Forest (link). The price also happens to be very good (under $6 per square ft). The color on their website doesn't look anything like it does in real life on the sample board. (See below).

The problem is that I can't find any reviews on the web, on Houzz, anywhere. It is making me question my choice. I have searched high and low, and have found nothing I like as much, or that meets all of the criteria -- and that includes every major name brand. I am also willing to get a light colored floor, as long as it has gray undertones, and none of the blue, pink, or yellow undertones I have seen on almost every light floor.

The only major brand I have not seen is Lauzon, because no store around me carries, it, and their Urban Loft collection has a few interesting colors, but I would have to see them in person. I know it's pricier, but I'm willing to spend more to get a better quality floor (up to $10 a square ft) since I never intend on getting another one, if at all possible.

Any suggestions for a floor, or anyone with experience with From the Forest???

Thank you for reading!

Comments (11)