SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ineffablespace_gw

Cats and renovation.

ineffablespace
10 years ago

I am in the process of adding a bath, renovating two and at the same time replacing most of the HVAC ducting.

Our cat is not at all skittish, and wants to inspect everything, going so far as to walk into the added bathroom and putting her paw on the very tile the tilesetter had his hand on. (Luckily he has cats also)

One of the existing baths developed a leak that could only be accessed by making a hole in the floor, and while this has been covered up, the cat knows that it is there and has been very intrigued by it.

For the past two days I have been demoing the bathroom completely. It's very small, so periodically stuff needs to be cleaned up, bagged and moved to another area. The cat was waiting for this opportunity and when the door was open a crack she leapt from the steps into the bathroom in one leap and down into the hole in the floor in another.

Then she ran around in the joist spaces and a soffit area downstairs. Eventually she came out when she got bored and the toy I was dangling in the hole became more interesting..

I am mostly concerned with the period when the HVAC is being done, and when there are no upstairs bathrooms at all. There will be holes all over the place. There is very little to do except close her in one bedroom unless I get some kind of netting to keep her in one of the other areas.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations