SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Mother's Day Gifts

lynninnewmexico
13 years ago

Have you shopped for yours yet???

(Sigh) I foolishly put off ordering until last night, the darling beach cover-up I found in a catalog last month that I know my mom would have loved . . . only to find it's sold out in the size she needed: Medium, which always goes first, I guess :~(

So, I've been scrambling this morning trying to find another "perfect" gift for her that would make it to their Winter home in Florida in time for Mothers Day.

My luck came through, though! I got an email from Lands End this morning with an offer of 30% off any one item AND free shipping! I linked on to it and found Mom a great light blue microfiber jacket to take to their summer place on the lake in Michigan. Their early mornings and evenings can get chilly up there on the water, so I think I did good with her gift . . . thank goodness!! I have two microfiber jackets now myself and they're lightweight but very warm when needed. I love mine.

Last year I ordered her (actually Mom & Dad) a week's worth of gourmet meals from an online company. Mom loved that, as it meant 7 days that she didn't have to cook dinner.

* Soooo, if you're buying Mother's Day gifts this year yourself, what ideas do you have to share?

* And/Or, what are you hoping for yourself?

. . . . Me: a new computer cookbook program to finish writing my own cookbook with. And, the latest book by Frances Mayes, the author of "Under The Tuscan Sun", etc.

Lynn (the Procrastinator)

Comments (35)

• tinam61
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I haven't decided what to do for my MIL yet, but for my mother, a gift certificate to a nursery she loves. I must get my love of flowers and gardening from her, and she will love the gift. My grandmother will get candy and probably some type plant or book - she is 93 and there is not much she wants. A box of candy puts her over the moon! LOL

We're also having my parents, my grandmother, my brother and his wife to lunch for Mother's Day.

tina

• CaroleOH
    13 years ago

I ordered mine the New Yorker Kindle cover and a light for her Kindle from m-edge.

I had it shipped to me because she lives in Florida and I wanted to see how cool the cover is. It is beautiful! Colorful and the fabric is a tightly woven satin.

Now I begin the stress of finding something for my Dad - he needs nothing and has everything!

• pugga
    13 years ago

I was just talking with my sister this morning about this. Mom doesn't like flowers, doesn't cook, doesn't garden, doesn't like any clothes we buy her, doesn't shop, won't use electronics, will be unhappy with candy because she wants to lose weight. We already bring her prepared meals so that's no treat. She reads but we routinely bring her new books.

My sister is going to have the family over for brunch but Mom will certainly feel like a martyr if she doesn't receive Mother's Day gifts.

Oh, and her birthday is in June so I'll have to start all over once we get through Mother's Day.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I got my mom one of those Miche bags - the purses with the changeable outer shells. She always likes to change her purse with her outfits, so I hope that she likes it. And if it's a hit, I can just get her more shells for other holidays/birthdays. Since my mom really doesn't need anything I have been getting her restaurant gift cards, because I know that she and her boyfriend like going out. For Mother's day I did want to get her something that would be for her alone.

• golddust
    13 years ago

A great hit with Mom's may be one of those slideshow electronic photo albums.
    My 90 yo aunt was given one for Xmas, filled with family photos and she brags about it all the time!

(I miss my mom...) This is the 9th Mother's Day without her.

• CaroleOH
    13 years ago

Pugga,

How about a Chanel or Estee Lauder perfume gift box? That's my Mom's favorite gift - especially if I get the one with the perfumed lotion. She won't buy herself expensive perfume, but loves it when we get it as a gift.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

We mail our mothers a card. Since my DIL lives close by, I bought her a vintage teacup and saucer, and got her another charm with the baby's name on it that she's carrying now. I had bought her a necklace from Hayjac Designs when she was pregnant with my grandson, and now it needs a new charm! The necklace and charms are very simple and beautiful

Below is a link. The charms are very tiny which I like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hayjac Designs

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carole, whenever we smell Chanel#5, it reminds us of Mom. That's been her favorite perfume as far back as I can remember. It must be one of that generation's favorite perfumes (LOL)! So tell me, how is your mom enjoying her Kindle? Do you buy or rent books for it? I LOVE that cover you got her, BTW! I'm right there with you searching for gifts for my dad. AND, his birthday is May 31st, so I have two gifts to buy for him at the same time every year! I have absolutely no clue what to get him this year. Past gifts that he's loved are:
    ~ a reclining canvas chair (not chaise) for their summer place.
    ~ a camping chair with the attached table and book & drink holder.
    ~ one of those flash lights that's big but lightweight and has a beam that angles down in front of him while he walks as well as one that shoots out in front of him.
    ~ one of those hand-crankable emergency radios
    ~ a set of cd's from the WW2 era, big band type music
    ~ a pair of small, lightweight but powerful binoculars
    ~ one year I bought each of my parents one of Travelsmith's hanging toiletry bags. Those were HUGE hits and they really come in handy when they travel. We have them too and I like them because they not only hold everything in plain site for you to see, but they're leak-proof and they can hang on door hooks, knobs or even towel bars. When we went on our cruise, the bathroom was minuscule and our toiletry bags took up none of the almost nonexistent counter top. Here's a pic of one of them:

((Golddust)), I'm sorry. Mother's Day must be a bit sad for all who've already lost their moms. Mine is 80, and I'm counting myself blessed with every extra year I have her now. I'm glad that you mentioned the electronic picture frames. I gave one to my parents for Christmas and they love theirs. Theirs is the 8x10" screen. Our DS is now in the military and I got him one of the small 4x6" screened ones that travels easily and takes up almost no room. I loaded it up with many pictures of our family and friends and then he added more from college and grad school. He's enjoying his very much.

Terri, what a fantastic idea!!!!! I've seen those bags in our local mall, but had forgotten all about them! Now I know what I'm getting Mom for her birthday. Thanks!

Pugga, she's a hard one to buy for, isn't she? What about one of those electronic picture frames that Golddust suggested? Their like a modern day brag book that she can show her friends. If you load it for her, she won't have to do anything but turn it on and off. Easypeasy! My Dad hates modern elctronic gadgets, too, and if he can use it, ANYONE can use it ;^D A small one could even fit in her purse.

Tina, sounds like you've got it all taken care of. How wonderful to be that organized! You're obviously not a procrastinator. Good for you! I do hope that YOU get a chance to relax and get spoiled a bit yourself on Mother's Day, though.
    Lynn

• CaroleOH
    13 years ago

My Mom loves her Kindle. She tends to buy more obscure titles and likes to read many books at once, so the low pricing on the books works for her and she likes to take her time reading them.

I have the Barnes & Noble Nook. I love it too. I like it better than the Kindle because I can check out books from my public library for 14 days. I don't collect books like my Mom, and so far have only bought 2-3 books, but have probably checked out 8 or 10 and I just got it in Feb.! The Nook also just came out with a new software update which added a couple of games - Suduku and Chess and it has a demo web browser so you can check email etc. on it. I haven't messed with the browser yet, but really am pleased with it.

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

White Shoulders is my mom.

I wish I felt close to my mom. I will send a card for sure but those mushy cards about mom always being there for me is just not right. I always find a really pretty rosy, glittery card that is simple. She likes those.

Mom and Dad live in a tiny travel trailer so you can't really get them stuff. Clothing is always too hard for her. She complains about stuff a lot. Yummy things are always a hit. Sometimes I make snickerdoodle dough balls for the freezer so they can make them a few at a time. But now they bought a modular home nearby and are moving in. They have been using paper plates and bare utensils for years in the tiny trailer. We have all been wanting to get them cookware, tupperware and such for years but they have no room. Now they do. I think I will get her something like that.

Unfortunately I cannot shop due to my white count being too low so I am not sure how I will get this done. I could shop online and then call the store to see if they have it and have dh go get it. That could work.

Reno is having a huge whitewater kayaking event that weekend. We planned to camp but with my health I think we will just do a daytrip out of it. It will be nice to be outside as the weather is supposed to be nice.

One of my funnest Mother's Days was 2005. We were having a pool put in and needed to fill in the trenches before the next crew came out. It began to pour but it had to be done. I was in my dh's rain boots up to my thighs, in raingear, filling trenches in slippery mud. It was a mess. We finished, showered and went to Chevy's for dinner. No one would have guessed what I had been doing an hour earlier.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

I don't get my mom gifts, she's weird...she doesn't like to get them or that's how it's always seemed, I guess I could ask her what she wants. I always feel bad about that so I try to do something with her. The best was in 2002...I took her to the local Pops concert where they did patriotic music and she just loved it.

I'm planning to go visit her this year, so I'll probably bring her a nice plant or rose bush for her garden. My mom just prefers a card or photos are always good.

I'm the same way, I'd rather have my kids over or better yet, have them give me a picture of them. But if I had my druthers, it'd be that my kids took me to a play or concert, too.

In July, STYX is playing at the Oregon Garden and my kids and I are going, so that will be my belated MD gift. I love that my kids like the same music I do, and this will be fun.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    13 years ago

For my mother, I will be making her a custard pie and purchasing a salad bowl from a local nursery. It is a bowl shaped pot that is filled with growing lettuce that you can harvest as you desire. She needs low maintenance.

For my MIL, we saw that Wal-Mart had some art glass hummingbird feeders so we will probably purchase one of those. Her major gift is that we will be driving for 14 hours with her 4 grandkids to see her and FIL that weekend.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I don't know what to get my mom, she will be ninty next month too. So I have to pick two gifts out for her. Her closets are filled with clothes, she wears only two kinds of colone which she already has plenty of.
    She loves jewelry and still goes to church maybe that is a good idea. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Since I don't have any children I tend to baby my mom, God I love that woman.

Here is a picture of my mommy and my sister taken about six months ago, isn't she pretty? I can't help but brag about her. I have posted this before, I hope I don't sound ridiculous.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you and to your mom's.

....Jane

{{gwi:1504627}}

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Jane - your mom is beautiful!

Lynne you are sweet. I am a person that writes lists, etc. LOL. Not to worry, lunch is not going to be a big deal. Croisant sandwiches (a variety) a couple of salads (pasta and probably corn salad), a yummy dip and fresh veggies, etc. I am thinking of a new trifle recipe - chocolate and toffee! YUM! (Plan to eat outside or at least in the sunroom.)

Anyhoo, I will not overdo. This is the day for the mom's and I like it to be special for them. Hubby and I do not have children, so we will be able to concentrate on the mom's. They do enjoy seeing their grand-dog! heehee

tina

• kgwlisa
    13 years ago

I'm not sure what I'll get for my mom. She is really hard to shop for as she has everything and buys herself whatever she needs. Probably some kind of photo gift involving the grandkids.

This is just my 2nd mother's day and I've asked DH to enroll me in a beginning ceramics class at a local pottery studio. I am feeling the serious need to create lately but with a 2 year old and no room in the house it is impossible around here. I took a ceramics class years and years ago and loved it.

• pugga
    13 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Mom always used to wear Estee Lauder (and White Shoulders). I think she still has a big supply of scents, however. She doesn't really socialize much and rarely uses perfume these days.

I like the idea of the electronic frame. I only hesitate because she moved from her condo to a small apartment a couple of years ago. At that time, she insisted we get rid of everything. She didn't even want pictures for her walls. She said it was just more to dust (even though she has a woman come in to do her cleaning). We convinced her that she needed some decorations and she's glad she did (and complains about how we got rid of some of her things). She's just at a difficult age (79), I think, and seems to find something wrong with everything. She wasn't like this 10 years ago.

She just told my sister yesterday she doesn't want anyone buying her flowers because it's a waste of money.

I'm thinking I'll just pick up some bagels or something for a visit with her and maybe get her some good smelling stuff she can spray around her apartment.

I get what you're saying about those mushy cards, shannon01. I just don't feel that way about my mom either, although I do care about her. She did a lot for all three of us kids but wasn't cuddly or very demonstrative with us and tended to be more controlling than supportive.

newdawn - I think your mom is very pretty! (BTW my name is Jane, too).

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Thanks Tina and Jane for the compliments on my mom, your sweet.

Jane, my mom likes White Shoulders too. I always order colone from scentiments.com at a big discount. Right now the shipping is free and you get a 5% extra discount. The coupon code is mom2010.

....Jane

• peytonroad
    13 years ago

I sent my mom the Fruit tower thingee from Costco.com. It will be delivered on time and the price was very affordable. It was like those Harry and david towers of fruit, nuts and cookies. I am sure she will like the surprise in each box.

• golddust
    13 years ago

I went shopping yesterday and bought Rob's mom a new toaster and a few treats from Costco. She has toast every day, hauling her large 4 slicer across the kitchen. Her toaster has those small slots that force her to keep turning her bread so it all toasts. She has no need for a big toaster with tiny slots.

I bought her a two slice, light weight toaster. While I don't think she will be thrilled with a toaster, she needs to have a smaller, lighter one that actually fits a slice of bread. (I'm always worried she will fall and her toaster is too big to move around everyday.)

Then I bought her some candy and cookies (Costco) that I know she loves. I checked into the electronic photo frames and DH decided the only place she could plug it in would be so far out of her way that she wouldn't really enjoy it. (She refuses to move *anything* around so it isn't like we'd be replacing something with it.)

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Moms . . . they come in every shape and personality, don't they? Mine had 9 kids (Catholic, you didn't have much of a choice back then, but we're grateful for us all). My mom was a sort of look-alike for Doris Day (although only by nature, not for trying to be): short, blond with big blue eyes, pretty, athletic, sweet but strong. She spent our childhood years in shorts and tennies during the day, but could look so glamorous when she needed to be. To this day, all 9 of us "kids" absolutely adore her and so do our spouses, her 22 grandkids and 2 (and very soon to be 4) great-grandbabies. And, she's still such fun at 80 . . . and still looks great in her shorts and tennies! I love spoiling her whenever I can, but like most people her age, she doesn't need much and hates cluttering up their homes with more "things to dust". We're long-lived in my family and I hope that we're blessed with many more good years with her. I can't wait to spend a couple weeks with both my parents this summer up in Michigan at our annual clan reunion . . . which is just our immediate family, but that's a lot! I hope that when I'm her age, my two kids and their families will think as highly of me.
    I'm sorry . . . I probably shouldn't be rambling on about my mom, but it just struck me once again, how blessed I've been to have be raised by her (and Dad) and how much I love her. I'm glad that there's a Mother's Day so that we can all let her know how special we think she is, although we do all the time throughout the year. We're just a very close, demonstrative family, I guess.

• necia
    13 years ago

My Mom also has everything that she could ever need or want! She takes water aerobics and usually wears an old moo-moo type dress after she swims. I think I will try to find her a new, more modern one for Mother's Day.

All 3 of us kids and our spouses are going to go over and do all of my parent's yard work on Mother's Day, also.

For me, all I am asking for is a finch feeder and some bird seed. (I pretty much have everything that I need, too!) Especially since my Birthday was just in April.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Mothers day and my birthday are on the same weekend. If the cut crystal decanters from the lighting store aren't mine I'll buy them on the next Monday :oP

Actually, we have all the blessings a girl needs now so really, I'm just going to enjoy the first mothers day with my mom in attendance for many years. DH will cook (I don't) and we'll have birthday cake which my son will call his (cuz he's 4 and every cake is for him). It is my deepest desire that this celebration take place in our dinning room...so perhaps the one gift I need is a kick in the arse so I finish it first LOL

Anyone want to give me that one? LOL form a line girls....

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

Newdawn- Your mom is so pretty. I would only hope to look so youthful when I turn 90.

Igloochic- Hey, my birthday is the 12th so it lands on Mom Day often, like yours. Makes it easy for dh because he can do both events at once.

One of my favorite Mom's Day/birthdays was when my dd went into driveway and rode bike on her own for the first time, she was 5. I have a pic of it. It When our ds was in preschool they did a Mom's Tea during the week, happened to be on my birthday. That was really sweet. All the moms there thought I was super lucky to share my birthday and the tea.

Unfortunately ds is in third grade and they are having a tea this week. My white count is getting too low to go anywhere and it really saddens me to miss this. I am hoping I can get another lab test done, if count is back up I can go. Otherwise I can't. I asked ds about it and he was ok with me not going. It still makes me sad to not be there for him. Missing a ballgame here and there is no biggy, but Mom's tea is a real bummer.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Thank you Shannon. I told my mom about all the compliments and she is eating it up like candy.

Lynninnewmexico that was touching what you said about your mom.

....Jane

• johnmari
    13 years ago

Call us cheap, but my Mom usually just gets a card - we go for the really funny ones from the Shoebox line at Hallmark. You know, the ones that make you snortle at the card display. We especially both get a laugh out of the "Maxine" cards, as I edge closer to forty and really start to understand Maxine. :-) Mom and I have a bit of a History, and the soft-focus roses, glitter and goopy sentiments are just too fake for both of us... it would be like wearing a tuxedo to a clambake.

I sent flowers, beautiful orchids, one year and the cat ate 'em the first day, then yarked them up on Mom's bed. So not only was fifty bucks down the drain but she had to do laundry on top of it!

We tend to prefer "Happy Tuesday" presents that come out of the blue to "manufactured" holidays.

DH's mother died several years ago and to put it politely... we don't get along well with his stepmother.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Johnmari - as usual you are so funny. You know you are the other one (in addition to Jane) that I think needs to write a book! LOL at the cat and orchids!

Lynn - that is so sweet about your mom - and your dad too. My dad is getting more sentimental I think. I had to call him earlier today and he told me he loved me. Which I've always known, but only recently did he start telling me that almost every occasion I see or talk to him. Makes me realize though they are getting older . . .

I too feel blessed to have both my grandmother (93) and my mom, along with my dad. We've always been a close family and I'm especially close to my grandmother. I think because she and I are so much alike. At this stage in our lives, I feel like it is time to *spoil* our parents and I enjoy doing things for them. It is hard to come up with gift ideas. One thing my siblings and I have done (there's 3 of us) - and our spouses, is to send mom and dad on little trips. They love that! We haven't done that in a while as my mom pretty much stays with my grandmother 24/7. Thankfully she and my dad live very near my grandmother and he kind of floats from one house to the other. LOL

Flowers are blooming out nicely in the yard and my rhodies are just starting so I'm hoping for nice weather Sunday. My family are flower lovers/gardeners, so they will be touring the yard and enjoying the blooms.

tina

• kcherry
    13 years ago

I ordered this shopping tote (http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/productDetail.aspx?id=Large-Shopping-Tote_255) in chocolate from Briggs & Riley last week. I selected it from their chocolate collection (http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/group.aspx?group=chocolate-for-mothers-day) for Mothers Day.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

LOL, Lynn-I am one of those Chanel #5 moms. Maybe it came from that great Marilyn Monroe quote: When asked what she slept in, she replied, "Chanel #5." Still, it is a wonderful scent.

At 58, I don't want more 'stuff' and I would rather have my son and his sweetie go out with us (before or after Mother's Day since everywhere is way too busy on that day). Also, he is going to help me plant the 50 azaleas I bought last week-yippee!

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Johnmari - You want to hear about cheap? My aunt and uncle share a birthday, so rather than spend waste money on cards, they go to the Hallmark store and read cards to each other.

• OllieJane
    13 years ago

awww, terriks, that's actually kinda cute!

• johnmari
    13 years ago

terriks, I agree with olliesmom... I think that's cute. Just think, not only are they doing something together, but in a way, they're also both getting a whole bunch of cards instead of just one.

I admit that I find receiving cards a little bit exasperating. I know a lot of people find them impersonal but I think e-cards are fantastic because they don't take up space or use up resources other than some bandwidth and can be had for free - I feel somewhat guilty putting a card in the recycling bin after having it up on the refrigerator for a few weeks, especially since the things are getting up to four bucks each, but if I kept every card I received I'd be drowning in them!

• susan209
    13 years ago

Girls, enjoy your Moms and Grandmas on this special day. I wish I had one but I do have three wonderful daughters who all remembered me with either gifts/cards or both and I love that they love me so much. My son, he just never remembers to celebrate Mother's Day, oh well. My wish would be that my daughters lived in my state but we'll chat on the phone..........just makes me kinda sad when I read some of the things you have to say about visiting. I don't think you can ever honor your Mother enough, she's the reason you're are here. Blessings, susan

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Happy Mother's Day, susan209! :~D

My mom is 80 and has alzheimer's. She is physically very healthy and still manages to take care of herself including finding her way down to the dining room in her assisted village three times a day. She has a best friend but neither one can remember the other's name. They've been friends for over two years.

It doesn't work out so well to send her new things. She only recognizes the belongings she's had for a long time. I went back to Ohio a few weeks ago to see her and this time she didn't know who I was. Kept calling me Mary. Figured she was close and I've been called worse. :)

We got cards in the mail to her earlier this week. Big ones with lots of flowers and glitter. When I was there I noticed a scarecrow on her windowsill. He was holding a pumpkin and had a mangy, faded crow sitting on his shoulder. Maybe she'll decide to put him in the closet and sit the cards out for a while instead.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

For my mom: I made a gift basket of suet cakes and wrapped it up in cellophane with a bow, then tucked a scratch off lottery ticket in her card. She loves watching the birds and does hit the gambling boat with her sisters now and then. It all started at around age 70 when she got a hummingbird tattoo near her shoulder. What a rebel!

For me: My dd has been in Africa for two months and is home Monday! DH took me to a neat farm/greenhouse and I had a plant splurge as he patiently pulled the garden wagon around as I shopped.
    Happy Mothers Day everyone!

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

Susan, they make cameras for the computer and we use Skype? to talk to/see my dh's family in St. Louis. It is really fun and cameras are really cheap.

We went to Reno yesterday for the whitewater kayak festival. We watched some great kayakers compete. My dh could have paddled with Eric Jackson (maker of Jackson kayaks) last weekend but passed to spend day with dd at her softball games. I could not believe he passed that chance. Oh well. Anyhoo, it was sunny with a bit of a breeze but not enough to ruin the day at all. There is this fun race and the runners dress up in funny costumes. There were Avatars, Kiss band, pregnant whitetrash, and one group was Tiger and Jesse James (they were funny). The winner was Sigfriend and Roy. They had hoolahoops and tossed these really big stuffed white tires through the loops. At end of race they have to run through this huge muddy area and get hosed off as they cross the finish line. We ate at Circus Circus buffet and played in the arcade. My dh and dd could not win a thing, little ds 9yr won everything he tried. Lots of fun. It was a great pre-mothers day for me. Today is kind overcast and I rather just do nothing, dh keeps wanting to buy me something but I don't want anything, really.

So happy mothers day to each and every one of us. And also to anyone who is not a mom but mothers someone, even if a pup or kitten. And to those who have lost their mothers, they are only gone in body but never in spirit.