SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midcenturystyle

fireplace damper didn't fit

midcenturystyle
19 years ago

We recently hired a mason to build our fireplace with brick. It is a restoration job, did a very good job except for a few minor nit picky things. We were happy with the brick work. Then came the damper problem. This mason sent me a link showing a fireplace damper which he recommended and ask me if I liked it. I said if it works it is fine with us, whatever you think. So he ordered it, and it came in and did not fit our chimney because our chimney is oval. I told him to order one that worked and he said "but this is the one you told me to purchase". I said "no, that is the one you recommended". We have argued about this and my husband who is more diplomatic than me suggested he just finish the job to the best of his ability.

He was able to get it to work finally by adding brick to make the chimney rectangualr but charged us extra for the extra labor.

I feel it was his mistake and did not agree that he should be paid extra. At one point I threatened to take him to small claims court if he did not get the damper to work--not the most tactful thing I could have done.

Have others had this experience with contractors?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH