SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsmall_gw

Ventless Fireplace Help Please!

dsmall
17 years ago

First Id like to say that I did read the posts concerning ventless fireplaces. I use the fireplace in the basement, and only once in a while for extra heat. Maybe 30 times all winter, for no more than 6 hours at a time. I do keep a CO sensor in the basement.

Last winter we moved into a home that has a gas fireplace insert in the finished basement. We do not have a gas line in our home, the previous owner set up a line to run outside to a standard 20lb LP tank. Last year the tank lasted all winter with no problems.

This year however, after refilling the tank, I continuously have been having problems. I immediatley had trouble getting the pilot to light (I light the pilot each time I use the fireplace and turn it off when I am done). The pilot would pop on and off during warm up, which reminded me of the days using a torch in the garage and trying to get the oxygen mixture right. Needless to say, without the pilot, I wasnt able to use the fireplace.

After a while (many many tries) The pilot magically began to stay lit with a nice hot blue torch like flame. I am able to turn on the fireplace and everything seems fine, except... The fireplace has a thermostat and If I set it to anything above 2 (1 being the lowest setting) the pilot again begins to pop on and off until it cools, goes out, and shuts down the whole system.

It is very strange when this happens. Sometimes it seems to work fine, sometimes the pilot wont light, and sometimes it does. The only thing that changes in my opinion is the temparature outside where the tank is. Usually it works best when the temp is warmer.

If anyone might have any suggestions before I call for an LP service it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Dan

Comments (2)