Crock pot and frozen meats???????

eileenlaunonen

Not a big crock pot expert LOL...can a frozen piece of meat be put in or does it have to be defrosted? I have a 4lb frozen Loin of Pork...HELP!!

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I'm not much of a crock pot person either....but I sure wouldn't. Any time I cook frozen meat, I want to start it out blazing hot so it will get hotter than the danger zone for bacteria to grow fast.
I think it will stay at a too warm for safety temp for too long for safety.
Linda C

Save    
kframe19

I should be defrosted or you'll need to pretty much double your cooking times.

Save    
grainlady_ks

Meat should be defrosted or you chance the temperature of the meat being at an unsafe temperature - one that can foster bacteria growth. Check the link below for more information.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Slow Cookers and Food Safety

Save    
dgkritch

I'm the rebel here. I cook frozen roasts all the time.

Toss in roast, liberally pour BBQ sauce (or your favorite) over the top and turn it on low.
Add potatoes and/or veggies if you want.

Go to work. Come home and enjoy.

Now, that said, I do have a newer "cheap" crockpot that tends to cook at a higher temp. I can't choose an actual temperature, just Warm, Low or High.

I know it doesn't conform to food safety rules, but it seems like any bacteria that grew initially, would be killed by the long cooking time (mine's usually on for at least 10 hours).

Deanna

Save    
jsvrn

I also use my crockpot with frozen meat...never really thought of any reason not to. Grainlady, thanks for the above link. I will start thawing my meat before using it from now on. I probably use my crockpot 2-3 times a week to save cooking after work

Save    
namabafo

I do frozen chicken breasts all the time. We haven't gotten sick yet, or maybe we are just tempting fate?

Save    
dixiedog_2007

I always use fresh or defrosted meat when cooking in the crock. To me it would be like leaving a piece of raw meat sitting on the counter for 2 hours. I have an old crockpot and a new one. The new heats up much faster then the older but it still would take quite a bit of time to start really cooking frozen meat.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Pantries Stoneware Crocks Strike a Chord
Once just humble pantry items, stoneware containers have become showpieces around the home
Full Story
Organizing Create Your Own Checklist for a Well-Stocked Kitchen
Personalize the kitchen with your own must-haves from our list of top cooking tools, small appliances, pots, pans and more
Full Story
Gardening 101 How to Grow Basil
Bright color, quick growth and endless uses for cooking make this summer annual a winner in the garden or a pot
Full Story