SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbfish

I'm all put back together!

greenthumbfish
13 years ago

About 2 wks ago, my Mac went wonky, still worked but the video was going "snowy" after a few minutes use (seconds use after I restarted a couple of times), and even though I've been working in the electronics industry for a couple of decades now, I was clueless, except I knew it wasn't the display (gray/blue screen at startup/shutdown was fine).

So I call my DS-F and he says it's probably the video card, change it out (duh). LOL! He's such a dear... he next said "if you need a display to test, I can loan you one." He knew better, I said "Nah, got two more here, thanks though!" Like step-father, like step-daughter ("it's uncanny", to hear my mother tell it). We both believe in "back-ups", whatever...

I had to open several boxes and open all kinds of hardware I hadn't needed before, but I got there and he was spot on! I found out I could replace the original upgrade card for $200 (original price $599 at Fry's) or replace my Mac for over $5,000. No-brainer... ordered a "used" replacement video card on ebay, got it today and installed it tonight...

FABULOUS FOR AN EIGHT-YR OLD (albeit top-of-the-line) SYSTEM! The only thing I don't have is an Intel chip and I can do without it for awhile longer ;-) I still L-O-V-E my Mac!

DH swears it's a sharper image, LOL! I will say no "snow" makes it sharper by default.

Oh, and in the process, I fixed my keyboard tray and chair (3 screws were either loose or missing and causing all kinds of problems) - yay!

Sorry, no before and between pics ;-)

Comment (1)