SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Chumped By An Eel

John Liu
13 years ago

I am mad. I have been chumped by an eel.

You know the delicious roasted eel you get in sushi restaurants? I saw some packages of frozen eel at the Asian grocery, and picked one up figuring on making some sushi-style roasted eel. I defrosted the package and tried it last night. Just a quick experiment.

The eel was gutted and sectioned but I had to fillet it. It is a real pain in the rear to fillet a 1'' diameter eel. I should have skinned it, perhaps, but this was supposed to be a quickie experiment and I was running out of patience. The head section was scary. Looked like the thing that comes after Sigourney Weaver in ''Alien'', or like the star of an x-rated hallucinogenic nightmare. I tossed it out. Roasted my tray of filleted eel with a bottled sauce - quick experiment, right? And it sucked! The eel tasted unpleasant, with a tough, rubbery texture. I threw the whole tray away, and got the kids takeout food.

I know eel can be tasty and not rubbery. I caught a mess of eel in Baja once, about 3' long, had them filleted at the dock (filleted alive - brrrr), brought them home in a cooler - delicious, delicate white flesh, something like a sole. So, I dunno what I got in that frozen package, but it can be lots better than that.

I'm going to try again, but with research and care this time.

Haven't looked in my cookbooks yet, but just to start out, I have found this recipe online:

Ingredients for Hitsumabushi

(serves 2)

1 Unagi Kabayaki - Frozen Roasted Eel

Sake

- Unagi Sauce -

2 tbsp Mirin

1 tbsp Sake

2 tbsp Soy Sauce

?~1 tbsp Honey

- Dashi Stock -

400ml Hot Water (1.69 u.s. cup)

2 pieces of Kombu Kelp (3x3cm / 1x1 inch)

4g Katsuobushi Shavings - Bonito Flakes (0.141 oz)

? tsp Salt

1 tbsp Sake

A few drops of Usukuchi Soy Sauce (saltier and lighter in color than koikuchi)

- Seasonings -

Sansho Pepper Powder

Crumbled Toasted Nori Seaweed

Spring Onions

Wasabi Paste

Now I need to find some better eel. Not sure where am I going to find that.

Any advice? Anyone make this dish, or do much with eel generally?

Comments (18)

• John Liu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmm. All the recipes I find online, including the one I posted (from something called ''Cooking With Dog'', weird) start with a package of frozen roasted eel. Doesn't anyone start with raw eel? How fun can it be, to re-heat a pre-roasted eel?

• jojoco
    13 years ago

Any bait shops near you? In CT, in the summer, live eel are sold in bait shops. My sister buys extras to free a few.

Jo

• arley_gw
    13 years ago

Recall the words of Ogden Nash:

I don't mind eels
    Except as meals.

OT--and as long as we're quoting Ogden Nash, all you married men out there should remember his famous poem, 'Advice for Husbands':

To keep the marriage brimming
    With love in the loving cup
    Whenever you're wrong, admit it;
    Whenever you're right, shut up!

• John Liu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The eels we caught in Baja were amazing.

We were fishing for rockfish, getting skunked, then started pulling in eels. We asked the panga skipper if they were good to eat, he responded in the affirmative, so we said let's stay here and collect some meat. Thick, long, thrashing eels with sharp teeth. A hot day in the Sea of Cortez, the eels were dumped in the middle part of the panga, and they remained alive and fiercely biting - all day. Unfortunately I was in the bow and the beer was in the stern. At the end of the day, the skipper had those struggling eels filleted in 10 minutes and we packed the cooler, loaded the jeep, and were headed back to LA. Ah, to be young, tanned, and single. Actually, SWMBO was already in the picture then, so I guess young and tanned would be fine.

I have had a lot of respect for eels ever since - as animals and as food. But these frozen ones were yucky. I'm going to the market this afternoon, if they haven't any fresh eels, I'll do a mackerel using the above recipe.

• colleenoz
    13 years ago

You mean you didn't give it to the cat? :-)
    (Sung in my best Dean Martin voice)
    "When the eel that you feel is a really big eel
    That's a moray........."

• John Liu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My cats are sometimes fussier about what they eat than I am.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

Posted by colleenoz "You mean you didn't give it to the cat? :-)
    (Sung in my best Dean Martin voice)
    "When the eel that you feel is a really big eel
    That's a moray........."

LOLOLOL!!!! Good one.

dcarch

• annie1992
    13 years ago

ROFL, Colleen, that WAS good.

John, I've only had eel twice, both in sushi places, and it was strong, rubbery and icky both times. Now you've got me wondering what good eel tastes like..

Annie

• Rusty
    13 years ago

The only eel I've ever had was smoked.
    And that was many MANY years ago!

But I remember it as being very good.
    Maybe a little tough sometimes.
    But so-o-ooo good!
    It was a very rare treat,
    along with smoked shrimp,
    That we had once a year or so.

It was cut into sections when we bought it,
    Seems like they were 4 or 5 inches in diameter.
    I have no idea what a whole one would have looked like.

Sure wish I could get something like that now ! !

Sigh. . . .

Rusty

• John Liu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe there are different sorts of eels. The ocean eels in the Sea of Cortez had a light texture, lighter and milder than cod. They were pretty big eels. The roasted eel I've had in sushi places has been . . . variable. I think those are usually smaller eels.

I found the quote below in an online ''sushi encyclopedia''. If true, it explains why my effort failed and, perhaps, why most people buy pre-roasted eels. But I want to learn to do it myself.

(That said, our Baja eel fillets were simply cooked in a pan with butter, and there was nothing rubbery or unpleasant about them - come to think of it, though, I think they were skinned. I have no recollection of how the dock guys did that.)

Eel is not part of the original Edo style sushi menu. The reason for this is that Edo (old name of Tokyo) was famous for its fast food industry specializing in Edo style sushi, tempura, soba, and unagi, or eel was no exception. During the Edo period, eel were abundant in the Tokyo area and had a cuisine called the Edomae Unagi. Many unagi chefs existed during the Edo period(a few of them still presently exist throughout Japan) and it was considered a separate profession since it required much skill. Sushi chefs wouldn�t dare to sell eel prepared by themselves because they knew they couldn't beat the taste and would make a fool out of themselves. Renowned sushi restaurants in would usually buy prepared eel from professional unagi chefs.

Eel is a difficult fish to prepare. It is cooked when used as sushi, and never eaten raw. It has a sweet, but earthy aroma, and if it is prepared improperly, the flesh can smell, and become very tough and rubbery. The eel is first filleted, and then grilled on open flame. This gets rid of excess fat under the skin, which is where the unpleasant scent mostly comes from. Then it is steamed to make the meat fluffy and to further drain out the oils. After this, it is once again grilled on open flame while basting it many times with eel sauce (unagi no tare) which is made from the eel trimmings, soy sauce, sugar, and sake (rice wine).

Eel should be soft, fluffy, and very flaky. It is mild in fat even after the grilling and steaming, and that is what a good eel should taste like. It is pleasant on the palate and should never have a fishy or earthy aftertaste. Crushed Japanese green pepper corn called sansho is often served with eel at eel restaurants. While this is not usually used in sushi restaurants, it stimulates the sweet taste of the eel.

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Colleen, that's brilliant, funny.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

John,
    Yes there are many kinds of eels; fresh water, salt water, etc.

I forgot. I used either swai, or tilapia, or basa instead. Came out not bad. It's the sauce that gives it the flavor.

dcarch

• John Liu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am now the proud possessor of a package of ''charcoal grilled seasoned eel" labeled "Unagi Kabayaki". And an 9 oz piece of sashimi-grade tuna. And a pair of mackerel fillets unearthed from the freezer. It's fish night! Will report back on the eel.

• jessicavanderhoff
    13 years ago

When I bought it, I didn't even warm it-- plopped it right in the sushi. And it came marinated in eel sauce. . . Here I thought I was being all impressive and homemade :-P

• John Liu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, that was too easy. Mix up some unagi sauce, broil the roasted marinated eel, glazing with the sauce, and there it is. Plop on a bed of sushi rice.

I'm ashamed, but that's how I'm doing eel from now on.

Mackerel was simmered 3 min in dashi with some miso and tofu, served with a thickened teriyaki sauce. Some of it also became sashimi.

We have a French girl staying with us, doing a three week exchange. We've been feeding her all kinds of stuff. Don't want her to think all Americans eat are hamburgers! She liked the eel and the miso mackerel. Wasn't game for the raw fish.

She's going to make us ratatouille next week. She also likes rabbit, so I'm going to buy her a skinned bunny and let her have fun in the kitchen.

• spacific
    13 years ago

Colleen---brilliant!

John, I applaud your efforts. In a fish market in Tahiti years ago, I saw live "anguille" for sale. Alas, I never tried cooking them, sorry. But I do love unagi as well as anago... it's my dessert, but I'm quite content to have a treasured sushi chef prepare it for me.

• punamytsike
    13 years ago

I love eel. Love it both smoked and marinated. Very, very good. Have to investigate if there is any possibility of fresh eel here so that I can smoke it myself, now that my smoker works perfect :)

• jimster
    13 years ago

More slightly OT Ogden Nash:

The cruelest creature's the crab,
    with pinchers that cut you and stab!
    And then, when you dine
    on crab and white wine,
    it's murder when you pick up the tab!

Of all the creatures in the sea,
    the funniest is the bass.
    He climbs up on the seaweed trees,
    and slides down on his hands and knees.