SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharonc65

What do you say to rude comments?

sharonc65
15 years ago

Hello everyone!

I'm curious how others would have handled a rude guest in their home.

My elderly father has an acquaintance who is about 20 years younger than he is, and who is also a professional person - a lawyer, whom he plays golf with occasionally. I will refer to him as Mr. Rude for the purposes of this post.

Dad and I recently bought a new townhouse, and Mr. Rude stopped by for a cup of coffee. My dad asked Mr. Rude what he thought of the townhouse, which is very nice, and Mr. Rude replied with "well, it's not exactly the Taj Majal".

Honestly, I was so taken aback by such a rude comment that I was speechless, but it still burns me up and I don't feel the same about this person any longer. He had to have realized how very rude it was to say that but he never made any attempt to make an excuse like most polite people would have if they'd stuck their foots in their mouths.

Another thing that has bothered me about Mr. Rude is he always comes to our house and has never once invited my dad to his. I think this is rude, too.

Any advice on what could have been said in response to his rude comment, and even though I am pretty miffed I'd never treat him rudely if he was a guest in my home, but it will be difficult to remain polite. I'd appreciate some advice if anyone has any to offer.

TIA

Comments (12)

Sponsored