SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
althetrainer

Eighty-something year old junk food eaters...

althetrainer
14 years ago

My father-in-law's 88th birthday is coming up this Wednesday. I know my mother-in-laws wants me to cook something for his birthday but I have a dilemma. He and his wife love the kind of food that I don't normally make.

We took them to Red Lobster for lunch last Sunday. They loved the biscuits there. Mother-in-law even asked for the recipe... but she doesn't even cook. Hint, hint... We want biscuits! I don't need a recipe for that type of biscuits. They're made of cheap fat, sugar, and white flour. My in-laws grew up eating that type of baked goods. Anything healthier always "taste funny" to them.

They are both in their late 80's, both are diabetic & hypertensive. MIL suffered a mild stroke and has shingles while FIL had a by-pass heart surgery two years ago. Despite of their health condition, they like junk food.

Every time they go to see their doctor they're told to go for healthier choices. I can tell how little they listen to their doctor. Of course, they choose to go against their doctor's advice is their own business. But I feel responsible if I am the one who makes them unhealthy food.

In Red Lobster, MIL dropped another hint for chocolate chip muffins. She didn't want apple bran, or carrot orange muffins, only chocolate chips. She said, "the ones with chocolate chips instead of raisins!"

Now I am sitting here thinking... they want biscuits and muffins. If I make them the healthy version they probably won't like it. On the other hand, I feel wrong to make them something that I know will worsen their condition.

I know, I know. They are not my children and I am not in any position to preach to them. It's just me. Having been working in the health/fitness industry for all these years, I just feel wrong.

What is worse? Making them something they won't enjoy? Or making them something they really like but not good for them?

Al

Comments (41)