SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

Easy peasy cooking for a college student with limited

loves2cook4six
13 years ago

budget and no time hahahahaha and no desire to cook

My son has decided he doesn't like to cook. I mean dh and I were floored today when he said taking the crockpot out the fridge (if he prepared everything the night before), and plugging it in and setting it was more than he had time for in the morning.

I need ideas for recipes that he can make in under 10 minutes when he comes back from lectures. 20 minutes top. Also if it's something he can throw together in 10 minutes, bake in a crockpot or oven and use another day that is fine too.

Right now he is eating hot dogs, tuna casseroles (blech, blech, blech) stir fried rice and loads of pasta.

He's a bit of a picky eater. No bacon, no shrimp. He doesn't "do" vegetables. I swear he must have been switched in the hospital nursery (except he never left my room - LOL).

I'll print them out and put them in a binder for him.

Right now I have brisket - all he needs to do is slice the onion, Adobo chicken, chicken tortilla soup.

Suggestions are welcome. Keep in mind he has access to a fridge, very small freezer shared by 4 boys, a stove, microwave, oven and crockpot. Very limited spices, maybe salt and pepper only although I can send more down with him.

Comments (56)

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Let it go. Your child is an adult now. You have presented a wonderful example and provided all the tools, your work is finished.

• jessyf
    13 years ago

What has he asked from you in terms of help?

• Related Discussions

Easy Peasy Ventilation Question...promise.

Q

Comments (29)
    Assuming a balanced motor and balanced fan blade assembly, and good bearings, then the fan-motor assembly will still make noise, duct or no duct, due to turbulence around the blades at the flow rates that the assembly is capable of. This is probably inevitable, even if the blades were designed and manufactured as airfoils with all the care (and cost) that goes into a turbojet engine compressor blade. The ducting can amplify some sounds, but I would expect this to be at low frequencies with wavelengths commensurate with the duct length. One potential source would be motor rumble amplification, and our assumption above (probably optimistic) was that there wasn't any. It is also possible that the blade, duct wall, and duct transition turbulence noise could have low frequency components that are well propagated by the duct. I have suppressed a lot of low frequency noise in my system by wrapping my 10 inch duct with the leaded plastic material used after-market in automobiles for sound damping (Evercoat Q-Pads). I supplement their adhesive side with very long tie-wraps to keep them attached. Low frequencies are less effectively removed by my Fantech silencer due to its manageable size. My intention is to eventually (re)balance the fan assembly which I suspect is the actual source of the low frequency rumble. The Wolf (Broan) roof fan is a radial blade design and rather heavy duty in its construction (read thick blades with high inertia). I have some doubts that it was deliberately balanced, probably depending on casting tolerances to meet some balance spec. To the question: I don't think a double wall duct would be helpful unless the gap were filled with lead wool. A magnesium duct would have high self damping, but more than a little hazard if there were a grease fire. kas
    ...See More

College Ideas for Our Daughter

Q

Comments (46)
    Bestyears - You are so welcome. I must confess that I am thankful that I'm finally out of the college search process. All 3 of mine have finished college, one added an MBA, one went to law school and the third went Ivy League and is now an apprentice in stage production in Philly. If your DD ends up there I'm only about 20 minutes away - I'll met you in Center City for lunch! I've always liked Drexel although none of mine went there. My kids drew a circle around Philly and then looked for schools outside that area. Part of that is because their high school was fairly small - they had about 150 in their graduating classes and they wanted a broader life experience. But many of their classmates did graduate from Drexel and most of them enrolled in the co-op program. And for trips back to Texas - it's an easy commute to the airport. My brother lives in Houston and he used to fly up to visit our parents often. Even though I grew up on the other side of Penna. after living here for 30 years I've become an unabashed supporter of Philly. It's just so darned convenient. The Jersey shore is 60 miles away, New York City is 90 and there are several ski areas within a 2 hour drive. When my DD was at Columbia I'd hop the train and in 90 minutes I'd be in Manhattan and we'd met up for a day of shopping or a Broadway matinee or just lunch. I'm not sure where you are in Texas but we do get snow here!
    ...See More

Make-Ahead meals for college student?

Q

Comments (16)
    Guess I am with you Khandi. My son is used to having home cooked meals. He actually doesn't care to eat out. And college meal plans are rather expensive. He is trying to get by without any college debt. Yes, he has learned to cook and shop for himself. But, I know he'll be busy with tough classes, working and having some fun in college clubs (running, hiking, climbing, etc). I am planning to put together some simple recipes in a book. I will also be going up once in a while (3 hours away) and when I do, I'll be throwing together a few freezer meals for him to dump in a crock pot. I don't think there is any shame in that. It means you love your child and want them to eat healthy meals. I have always cooked at home, he has always seen me cook and I know he's learned the value in that to carry on for himself. Home cooking teaches them the value of a dollar and a healthy lifestyle. Good luck to your daughter and I'm so glad there are caring parents out there :)
    ...See More

Friend's kid - college advice

Q

Comments (22)
    I would have to get out his test reports to give all of his disabilities with the correct terms. He has fine motor skill problems which have make writing more difficult. His reading skills are much lower than normal although his comprehension is high. He has trouble with memory skills, organizational skills, attention span, you name it, he has it. He has been in what is called the "Discovery" program since 6th grade. It is run through the national institute for learning disabilities. He has had an individual learning program since 2nd grade. He has attended Discovery classes for 90 minutes, twice a week up until last year. We feel that he has been given the tools that he needs and know it is time for him to sharpen them and use them to his advantage. His discovery teacher once explained a 90 minute session for him akin to having him rum laps around the track for hours. It is physically exhausting. It is believed that the base of the brain is underdeveloped with dyslexic kids and so they focus on developing it through various mental exercises. One is called rhythmic writing which involves the student writing on a chalkboard similar shapes repeating the direction of the movements out loud. They also add verbal math problems and such. They force the students to use both sides of their brains during this exercise. It is actually quite common for dyslexic kids and kids with other learning disabilities to have higher than normal IQs. That adds to the frustration and behavioral problems because the kids have the answers in their heads but can't get them out on paper. Sometimes we test DS verbally because of his reading problems. It is quite a challenge and when this boy walks across the stage to receive his diploma I don't know that I will be able to contain myself.
    ...See More
  • chase_gw
    13 years ago

My daughter was the same in university, she lived through it and now quite enjoys cooking. I prepared her a fast and easy cookbook, she never had the ingredients so she didn't use it much. Getting the groceries seemed the biggest chore of all. He'll figure it out.

The only thing I can think of beside pasta is chicken enchiladas. No recipe but he can buy the chicken tenders, give them a quick fry place on a tortilla, pour on some jarred enchilada sauce, add some grated cheese, wrap add more enchilada sauce and cheese to the top. Bake for 10 minutes until cheese melts. Not gourmet but my daughter loved them.

Nachos topped with browned hamburg or sausage, shredded cheese and what ever else he likes is easy and fast. Just layer the nachos with the toppings and cook in the microwave until the cheese melts. Serve with salsa and sour cream.

Pizzas are fast. Use flour tortillas for a really quick pizza. Top with prepared pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese. Place on a baking dish. Bake at abut 350 for 5 minutes more or less. If he wants a more substantial one he can use any flat bread just may have to cook it ab bit longer.

• punamytsike
    13 years ago

My older son loved to experiment in kitchen and made some darn good desserts. My younger one was not so into, so last few years he lived with us, he had to cook dinner for family once a week. He perfected pork chops and french fries :)
    That came in handy in college where he was able to woo girls with his cooking skills. Girls love when boys cook for them ;)
    They also loved my 5 min bread dough that I showed him how to make pizza out of. He never bothered to make his own dough but he loved to take mine and they all loved the resulting pizza. Pizza dough is available in the stores as well and home made pizza is better tasting and healthier than the frozen ones and cheaper than the chain ones.
    Then the gang befriended a young man who is pretty good chef and works for one of the best local restaurants. Now my younger ones is little more into cooking and has learned to make even better pork chops :)

• sonopoly
    13 years ago

Maybe get him one of those small Foreman Grills. They cook super fast and he can cook burgers, pork chops, chicken, fish, and potatoes in a flash. Give him a bag of buns and he's good to go!

• jimster
    13 years ago

Zatarain's, Goya and a couple of others make an assortment of quick cooking, mildly spicy rice and beans products. Each box makes enough to satisfy one large appetite or two smaller ones.

The combination of grain and beans provides all the essential amino acids. The beans provide fiber. A large part of the world's population eats some combination of grain (usually rice) and legumes (beans or lentils) on a daily basis. It is good nutrition and satisfying to eat.

For contrast and to complete a healthful diet, have plenty of fresh fruit such as apples, bananas, grapes and oranges on hand. Keep some canned fruit as a backup when you are out of fresh fruit. Make a habit of eating fresh fruit every day.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Zatarains Products

• lindac
    13 years ago

My kids learned to cook for themselves and their room mates in college out of economic necessity. They soon figured out that they could have a better meal out of a cut up chicken and a bag of potatoes for less money than they could get eating frozen dinners or eating out. They discovered the wonders of a whole turkey, thawed for 24 hours in the bathtub and cooked all day ( never mind the giblet bag inside nor the un sanitary conditions...) of a pot of chili (browned hamburger with an onion, couple cans of beans and a couple of cans of tomato sauce and some chili powder) cooked on a Sunday afternoon....and a girl friend invited over.
    If he doesn't care what he eats, buy him some vitamins and let him eat ramen and canned Dinty Moore!
    As for things like the Cuisinart Grill thing or the George Foremen grill....realize it will never get washed....a gas or charcoal grill never needs to be washed. At any given warm afternoon in Iowa City, the student housing balconies are wafting smoke and burger smells from the cheap grills on them.
    Linda C

• annie1992
    13 years ago

I'm going to go with the "never mind" faction. He'll eat what he chooses to eat and cook as little as he cares too.

Ashley still lives on spaghetti-os, Bagel Bites pizza snacks, canned Cream of mushroom right out of the can, and granola bars. Once in a while she'll have a salad, Deb kindly sent her one of those containers that holds salad and the lid has a pop up thing that holds dressing, so if I'll cut up a salad, add dressing and put it in the fridge, SOMETIMES she'll eat it. Maybe.

That said, our favorite appliance is really an electric skillet. We always took one when we travelled because we could make eggs and toast for breakfast (just toss bread into the skillet, turn when it's toasty and do the other side, and then make the eggs). We used it to boil pasta and then added canned sauce and cooked until hot. burger, a can of chili beans and a can of tomatoes with some chili powder became chili, kind of. We could bake or fry potatoes and make quesadillas or tacos, burgers or hot dogs, a stir fry, chicken sandwiches.

I grow that organic garden, raise grass fed beef, but I can't make her eat it!

Your son might make quesadillas, though...

Annie

• sissyz
    13 years ago

our boy is a JR @ Illinois and he finds satisfaction in cooking. He likes to make chili, pasta, meatloaf, fajitas (from a cut called flat iron), stir fries, and lots of salad with add ins..
    The other day he surprised us all by making fried ravioli. Surprised because I never fry and because he helped do something round here!!!
    He got a crock pot for Christmas and these are some easy things to do with it:
    In the crock pot, toss a cheap sirloin pork roast and garlic and a can of root beer! Shred after 6 hours and toss with barbeque sauce. Serve with onion and pickles on bun! YUM!
    Toss boneless chicken thighs and a packet of taco seasoning. Shred when cooked and its better than taco bell.
    A large can of Chicken broth, several frozen turkey meatballs, half a bag of green beans cooks all day. Add in pasta or brown rice when ready to eat.
    Chunk up 4 potatoes, add potatoes, can of shroom soup, 1/2 can water, sliced onion and thyme and pepper. Cook all day. When ready to eat, brown ground beef on stove and mix with potatoes and "gravy"!
    Easy peasy!

• arlocat
    13 years ago

Have you considered one of those easy cookbooks like "The Three Ingredient Cookbook"? Then there is the "Four Ingredient Cookbook", and if I recall correctly there is even a "Two Ingredient Cookbook". Both of our kids liked their small Forman grill. It's nonstick surface only needs to be wiped down, although the drip catcher needs rinsing.

If I were you I'd give him the grill and a cookbook for your peace of mind. Then leave him alone to make his own choices. They never starve.

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

It sounds like your son probably isn't going to cook even if he has recipes and tools.
    If he doesn't enjoy it, he's not going to choose to spend his 10, 20 or 30 minutes of free time cooking.

Maybe just some suggestions of "no-cook" healthy options.

Fresh fruit, yogurt, lean sandwich meat, whole wheat breads, pickles and fresh veggies rather than chips, the salad bar and/or deli at a local grocery, etc. Frozen healthy(er) dinners, canned soups even with all the sodium are probably better the McD's!

You can eat somewhat healthy even without cooking.
    You could also send care packages! Whole grain muffins and cookies, jerky, cheeses, bean/rice soup mixes (in a ziploc with instructions). You can buy dried veggies to combine with the beans and rice so it's a "just add water" deal in the crockpot.

Good Luck. He WILL survive. :-)
    Deanna

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

If he doesn't like to cook, then he isn't going to cook no matter if you give him three or four igredient recipes that only take a few minutes. I would back off and let him eat like the rest of the college kids for now. It didn't kill the rest of us so he will survive too. Since you have given him a good cooking foundation at home he will probably return to it one day when his college days are behind him.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

I'd be willing to bet it's not just the grocery-gathering (which can be mighty difficult) and the meal planning (daunting!), and the actual cooking (no matter how little time we think it takes, how many cookbooks and gadgets you give him, or how few ingredients) but it's also the cleaning up! And often it's just no fun to cook for yourself when everyone else is out eating and having fun, no matter how lousy the food. It might be fun to cook for a girlfriend now and then, because she'll help clean up!

I agree with giving the kid a break. He'll find his way when he's hungry. All my kids did.

• Gina_W
    13 years ago

Frozen food. Microwave. Done. (He does have a freezer, right?)

• trixietx
    13 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it, he won't starve, or at least I hope he doesn't!!

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Here is a link to a cooking with 5 (or less) ingredients. Hopefully you can find some healthy and low budget suggestions in there.

Teresa

Here is a link that might be useful: 500 5 ingredient recipes

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Hey, L2C46, maybe you could just buy him one of those "raw diet" books and then he wouldn't have to cook at all. I don't suppose he likes steak tartare? (grin)

Although I don't like commercially prepared canned soups much, I do can homemade beef vegetable, french onion and I'm working on a chili recipe, so I can just pop a jar open and heat it at work. Maybe he'd heat it if you prepped it?

Gina is right, though. Freezer and microwave, fast and easy. Make sure the containers are disposable and there's no clean up while his friends are out having a good time.

Annie

• sage721
    13 years ago

My Foreman grill was used several times a week in college. Sooner or later he'll figure out that he'll have more money for other stuff (beer, girls) if he saves a bit of money eating in once in a while rather than out constantly. Frozen hamburgers and turkey burgers, frozen chicken tenders, etc all cook up great on the foreman and don't take long. That aid, if he doesn't want to cook, he won't. I love to cook, even back then, but still ate more ramen, tuna, and pizza than I care to admit. Ps... A roomie's grandfather bought us a Fry Daddy... Best and worst thing that ever entered our apartment. Everybody loved it, but an ill fated, late nite frying experiment almost set the kitchen on fire... NOT RECOMMENDED!

• arkansas girl
    13 years ago

I also think the George F grill or other brand would be a really quick way to make something fast. Just a small one because they can be a pain to clean up even though they claim to be easy. If it's a pain to clean up, it won't get used! Probably some better quality frozen dinners would be the easiest though. Better than burgers and fries any day!

• shaun
    13 years ago

If he says he doesnt like to cook and has no time to cook, I wouldnt bother giving him recipes; he wont use them.

Good advice above.

Remember, you can lead a horse to water.......

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

My brother is 47, does not like to cook and does not cook. He's such a picky eater he doesn't even like to EAT! But he is concerned with eating healthy. His favorite appliance is a small toaster oven. He eats toast and scrambled eggs for breakfast, sandwiches and or canned soup for lunch, and dinner is something grilled in the broiler of the oven, along with a veggie and salad and more bread. Get him a good toaster oven. That's a great appliance for a college student or young professional. Get him a good all purpose meat rub to go with that and he'll probably be good to go. Nowdays not cooking is not an impediment to eating well, there are gobs of prepackaged things in the markets. Waste of money, yes, but time is money and if you hate to cook and don't care much about what you eat, it will suffice. A person does not need to "cook" to eat healthy.

• sonopoly
    13 years ago

The OP wasn't asking for parenting advice, she was asking for easy, quick, budget-conscious recipes. No wonder she hasn't come back.

I think she's going to give it her best college try to help her kid, and then if he is very resistant, she'll give up. I don't have any kids, but I can imagine that's what I would do.

Another suggestion is healthy sandwiches. Buy some good bread, cold cuts, and spreads, and throw it in the microwave for 30 seconds if desired.

Regarding frozen dinners -- quality ones are pretty expensive and small, though Trader Joe's seems to have reasonably priced substantial ones.

• coconut_nj
    13 years ago

Since he already makes pasta, one of our crockpot faves is stick chicken in crockpot, pour over it your favorite sauce, and cook away. We just love chicken in pasta sauce. I used to use a whole chicken but pieces would work for him.

You can do similar things with the crock pot using most cuts of meat. Just stick some hunk of chuck or a top or bottom round, add an onion and let cook away. Can be served over rice easily but he could still just serve it over pasta. Loose broth but tasty. Garlic is good addition to the meat so him having a jar of minced garlic might work.

• arkansas girl
    13 years ago

Something else super easy if he likes pasta which is about as easy to cook as it gets...he could have some IQF breasts and stick them in the GF grill, slice that up and put over pasta and open a jar of Prego, heat and pour over...simple and good!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

When I was in college, my roommates mother made her frozen stews and dinners for our freezer.
    It was a blessing indeed.

I am a dedicated cook now and I was mildly interested in cooking then but every cell in my body was focused on school and I had absolutely no time to shop, read recipes, cook, and wash dishes. And of course, I had no money!

Anyway, he won't starve, this is not a prediction of his entire life, and any help you give him beyond recipes and great expectations would be welcomed.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

the observations that her son is not going to cook if he doesn't want to is not a reflection on the parenting ability of the OP, at least not on my prt. I know her and I know she's a great mother. If she weren't, she wouldn't worry about it anyway, she'd give him a box of Pop Tarts and a case of Ramen and send him away to school. Plus, by the time your kid is in college, the parenting has been done, or at least the foundation laid for future life.

Pre-prepared meals are expensive and not as healthy as home cooking, but better than frozen pizza and ramen, I think. Actually, though, peanut butter and jelly on whole grain bread isn't really all that bad...

Annie

• sonopoly
    13 years ago

Annie, you didn't get my point. I know who the OP is and know that she is a wonderful mother, which IS my point. Many of the posters were telling her to not worry about him, not try to help him, which to me is giving parenting advice.

She WANTS to help him, and that is what she is asking us for here. I think people were giving her parenting advice which she obviously does not need. She asked for easy, quick, inexpensive recipes. I think she needs to at least try for herself.

So, if you had a child away at college for the first time and he was eating poorly, you wouldn't at least make an initial try to educate him on how to eat better?

• beachlily z9a
    13 years ago

Sounds like the young man has more of a time management problem than a cooking problem. Getting out of bed 5 minutes earlier will provide enough time to set up and plug in a crock pot.

These are some of the by-product lessons learned in college. Some students learn them and others don't, and THAT often translates to how well some students do in the "real" world and how some don't do well at all. Many, many lessons being taught within those old walls!

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

"budget, no time and no desire to cook" tells me he isn't going to cook and there's no need busting your butt trying to make him. Technically he's an adult now and can make his own decisions.

• sonopoly
    13 years ago

Cooking is something that many people learn after they're out of their parent's home these days. I don't see why a mother can't try to give him a little advice, if it can possibly help him and she wants to. Do you think she shouldn't try, Beverly? She wants to. Why would you not want her to help him. It's not as if he's a drug addict who's asking her for some drug money.

So, I guess what I want to know directly, is why shouldn't this mother want to help her son, and if it doesn't take, then she can let it go? Why would you suggest to a loving mother to NOT help him?

• chase_gw
    13 years ago

sonopoly, I think you are taking these posts way too seriously.

All that I and others are saying is, try this but don't worry, he'll be fine. Hardly parenting advice.

• sonopoly
    13 years ago

Well, I obviously take it seriously and I think the OP does as well. I think her son is important to her. Sorry for butting in and caring too much.

• Gina_W
    13 years ago

"very small freezer shared by 4 boys" - ugh. What stores does he have nearby?

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Absolutely loves is a great mother. Sonopoly, we all know that her son is important to her.

He has a superb home background in fine food. I am sure he has been taught what is healthy. In school, even elementary school, kids are taught what is healthy. Peer pressure around here (Loves is a neighbor) is way toward healthy food. It's expensive, though and can be time consuming and inconvenient to shop. Where's the grocery store? Is there a car?

We all know that Loves wants her son to be self-sufficient and she wants him to know how to manage time, priorities, necessities such as food, etc. I certainly agree that cooking skills can be part of the picture of competent money mgt., just not that important right now, imo.

He must be a fine student as he attends a highly selective school. He's doing well, with or without a current interest or ability to cook.

My original post was preachy but not critical of parenting.

I do have my first kid away at college, others were commuters. And I worry about other things rather than what she eats. And Loves is not worried, only wants to fine tune so self sufficiency will be easier. That's all.

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am laughing out loud here. Thanks for defending me.

I haven't been back for a few days 'cause I've been busy getting ready and sending the "little" ones back to school. Ds doesn't leave for a few weeks yet so time to get him organised.

I just had him read through the posts and he agrees: I'm a terrible mom and don't care about him at all ;) I should just let him eat whatever he wants.

Anyways, we made Bobby's curry chicken together for dinner tonight - easy peasy. I'm sure it will taste great then he has one recipe under his belt.

beachlily - no kidding on the time management! Getting out of bed five minutes before he needs to leave would be getting up too early. Try 2 minutes - just enough time to brush your teeth.

He does like to eat well and that's his motivation to cook at least a couple times a week. He has a crockpot, I will send lots of freezer meals, staples and baked goods and he can make a couple of meals and he's good to go.

We've been talking a lot how fresh food can be cheaper than processed. He likes hot dogs. Hot dogs (crap that they are - excuse me anyone else who likes them) cost $4-$5 for a pack of 10 - maybe half a pound. A brisket costs the same for a pound and is much better for you, chicken is a lot less.

He'll get it. He's smart. He may never be a gourmet cook or even a regular cook but he'll get by and may surprise us yet!

Keep the ideas coming.

• sonopoly
    13 years ago

Thank you, Westsider, for the thoughtful post, as I'm sure you could see I was getting quite hot and bothered about this all. Your post helped me to see your perspective. I truly appreciate your taking the time. I see you care as well.

I'm sorry to the rest of you for my heated posts. I thought about it a lot, and realized that all of our different opinions is what makes this board so interesting and more family-like, because as we all know it gets pretty heated when family gets together.

I know you all are very caring people -- I'm sorry if I implied any differently, because you people are some of the best I know. I really like this place a lot, because I can be honest, and hear honesty from other people.I have learned so much here and continue to do so, and not just about cooking!

• beachlily z9a
    13 years ago

Yep, I know about time management. I have a graduate degree!

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

L2C4S, my DD was 26 when she left my home and when she was at home she never cooked and would never let me show her anything about cooking, and really kind of made fun of my cooking. By age 30 she was married and really into cooking and at age 42 she still is. Your son will probably come around one of these days and it will be such a joy to you when he does. They have to do it in their own time, their own way, trying to stretch their wings. Bless you for trying to help him while he is young. Hopefully it will not be in vain, just like mine was not in vain.

• Chi
    13 years ago

I loved to cook when I was in college a few years back. Unfortunately, I lived in a dorm and we weren't allowed to have anything other than a microwave and a tiny fridge.

We had a great dining hall though. It was a luxury to have someone else cook and clean up after me after years of preparing my own meals. We had a salad bar, burrito bar, carving section, pasta bar, Chinese bar, Sushi, Kosher...loved that place.

Anyway, I was always able to heat up a bowl of soup to eat, but I found it boring and lonely. Social interaction is crucial in college and I would rather spend a few more dollars than to eat alone.

I've heard of success with sort of "dinner clubs" where groups cook big dinners for multiple people. That way, you get the social interaction along with healthier and cheaper meals. If he lives with 4 other males, there might be some opportunity there if any of them like to cook. Or entertain if there are apartments of females nearby. :)

Another thing I want to add is that cooking for one can often be more expensive than eating out or eating frozen meals, so that's something to keep in mind. I've lived alone for a while and it can be very hard to scale groceries correctly, especially with limited freezer storage. I waste a LOT of food, even with the best intentions. And I don't have the crazy, hectic schedule of a college student so I imagine that would make it even harder. But then again, I also can't eat like college-age males can!

• arkansas girl
    13 years ago

This isn't a cooking suggestion but a suggestion for something to eat that would be fast but not fast food and healthy too. A lot of buffet dining places like Golden Corral let you pay by the lb. You get what you want in a too go container and they weight it. You can eat healthy there if you want to as opposed to burgers and fries and Taco Bell stuff.

• chase_gw
    13 years ago

Chi 83 reminded me of something my daughter did in University.

She and her roomates would cook dinner a couple of times a week for the "boys" in the house acro9ss the street. The boys gave them money and they shopped and cooked. The boys cleaned.Meals were simple, spaghetti and meat sauce with a salad, roast turkey, chili, Mexican nights, soup parties.

She said it was lots of fun and they usually made money on the deal. I think when it's a "group" thing and has a bit of a party feel to it they enjoy cooking more.

• cynic
    13 years ago

Some thoughts...

Cooking for yourself can be boring and almost painful. Ideally get a roommate (or gf or other) who loves to cook or for whom you'd like to cook, if that's an option.

Cooking for one can be expensive, but sometimes better than eating same boring fast food too. I enjoy a good sandwich to this day. Some deli meat, decent bread or bun or even some whack-a-tube biscuits.

Flame type grills are banned in a lot of apartment/dorm situations. An electric grill might be allowed. Foreman type are appliances and seldom not allowed. I've never had a Foreman type but see a lot of people talk about putting a couple wet paper towels in the unit when you're done and let it steam the gunk off while you eat, then wipe it down. And, I know from experience, just because stuff is dirty doesn't mean it won't get used! Especially by college kids, bachelors or the like! :)

An electric frypan is a versatile appliance. Cook, bake, steam and more. Easy to clean up.

Is there an issue with roomies helping themselves to the food if he puts up a "stock"? That could be an issue.

Much depends on what he likes so I can't really help with recipes, more trying to give ideas. I also know if you don't like to cook, are busy, don't like to eat out, don't feel well or whatever reason you might not eat well, especially if eating isn't a priority with you. The last couple weeks, I've averaged eating every 2-3 days. Doesn't hurt me to miss a meal but a college kid needs nutrition too. So there's a concern I'm sure.

One organizing idea is some meal planning help. Sit down and do a menu for a couple weeks, helps with using the stuff too. For example:

Sunday: Pot roast, potatoes, veg of choice
    Monday: Roast beef sandwiches
    Tuesday: Soup/Salad
    Wed: Store bought roasted Chicken, instant Mashed potatoes, salad
    Thurs: Leftover chicken
    etc

One thing I thought of is country style ribs or baby backs for that matter. Braised are simple and good eating. Lots of meat and little waste, well no waste on CS. Deli slaw or make his own from a bag of slaw mix and a bottle of poppy seed dressing with a little extra seasoning.

Suggestions on organizing and things like that might mean more than just some recipes, but a few recipes he likes, even if adapted from canned, deli or the like could help.

Tater tot hotdish is easy enough. Quick chili. Chunky soup in a can ain't all that bad either folks. Yes, it's not gourmet fare but then again it beats a a McSlider anyday.

Quesadillas are easy and you can do a variety of things. I like a "pizadilla". Tortillas, pepperoni, cut up brown & serve sausage, pizza sauce and cheese. I usually do a double decker. Into the electric frypan, do one side, flip, then add the next layer, then flip once more. Good eats and quick.

There's always toast and peanut butter. Peanut butter and celery sticks. Crackers, cheese and summer sausage. Brown & serve sausage & eggs with some toast and maybe some Simply Potatoes or fry some canned sliced potatoes. Hash brown casserole? Toss in some meat. Hamburger/macaroni hotdish is easy and tasty. You can do a good garlic bread and top it with some pepperoni and cheese. None of these are overly time consuming but sometimes if you just don't feel like it, you won't do it.

Hope you're getting some ideas and hope he doesn't starve to death! :)

• KatieC
    13 years ago

I think my kid mostly lived on ramen and jeno's pizza rolls one year. I worked with a lot of young working parents...this was a favorite. Easy and amazingly not-too-bad.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Taco Soup (5 cans-5 minutes)

Recipe By : Bonner County Extension Nutrition Program
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Soups

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 can chili
    1 can corn
    1 can olives -- sliced
    1 can tomatoes -- chopped
    1 can water
    1 package taco seasoning mix

Throw everything in a pan and simmer 5 minutes. Garnish each bowl with sour cream and salsa, shredded cheese, and/or crushed taco chips.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Make this as hot as you like. Can also add refried beans to stretch.

• jimster
    13 years ago

"...no kidding on the time management! Getting out of bed five minutes before he needs to leave would be getting up too early. Try 2 minutes..."

I have the perfect solution -- 5-Hour Energy shots. Just open one up, knock it back and you're good to go for the next five hours. Then open another one, etc. etc. No need for bothersome food or cooking!!!

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: 5-Hour Energy

• annie1992
    13 years ago

LOL, Jim, but not too filling, especially for a college aged kid. (grin)

I LIKE to cook and last night's supper was leftover soup and leftover cornbread. Recently it was cottage cheese and pineapple, so eating doesn't always mean a lot of cooking.

there's always the "No Peek Stew", it is good in the crockpot and only four ingredients if you leave out the mushrooms If you put it in the corckpot you can add some chunks of potato and stretch it quite a lot. Cook in the corckpot on low for 8-10 hours or on high 4-6 hours.

No Peek Casserole

2 lbs stew meat ( I use 3 lbs)
    1 can Campbell's Chicken Mushroom Soup
    1/2 cup Gingerale
    1 pkg Lipton Onion Soup Mix
    1 4 oz jar mushrooms, drained (optional)

Preheat oven to 300. Comebine ALL ingredients (DO NOT
    brown meat and DO NOT dilute soup with water)
    together. Mix well. It will be lumpy before it's
    cooked. Pour into a casserole dish and cover. Bake 2 1/2 to
    3 hours. DON't PEEK!! Serve over pasta, rice or mashed
    potatoe's.

Angie's slow cooker beef tacos is one of Ashley's favorites and you could mix all the sauce ingredients in a jar and he'd just have to dump the jar over the meat....

Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos

Serve this delicious taco meat with soft tortillas or hard taco shells and pass all the fixings.

1 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
    3/4 cup bottled chunky medium-hot salsa
    2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    1 tablespoon (packed) dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (optional)

Combine the salsa, garlic, brown sugar and soy sauce and pour over the meat in the slow cooker insert. Cover and cook for 8 hours on LOW or 5 to 6 hours on HIGH, or until the meat is fork-tender. I usually pour off some of the liquid. Shred the meat with two forks and stir in cilantro and lime juice if using.

these are good wrapped in flour tortillas and with some coleslaw on top. That could come from the deli and would add some crunch and some veggies, if he'll eat coleslaw...

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

I make Angie's Slow Cooked Shredded beef for my college groups and they LOVE it!
    Loves2Cook, it's good that you took these posts in a good spirit. I think most folks were just trying to put your mind at ease that this phase might not last forever, and not be as bad as it seems. A lot of us have been in this boat kind of thing, lol!

• dedtired
    13 years ago

Just thinking about this, and I realize that I have absolutely no idea what my son ate at college. Now he's a health nut, but I have a feeling he didn't learn that at Boulder. Pizza and beer, for sure.

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, if you saw my other post you know we also made Italian Beef in the crockpot. It was so easy. Bit of a problem with the seasoning but I showed him how to adjust it. Also not nearly enough jus for the amount of meat. We took off almost 2 cups of fat and probably should have added more, lots more water. Live and learn. I don't eat meat so that was the first time I've ever made that recipe.

ded, you're right. I probably DON'T want to know what he's eating. Let's hope he turns into a health nut too although I doubt it. This is the kid who told his friends parents he was allergic to green food. ROFLMAO

• saraha
    13 years ago

As a current student on a very limited budget a couple switches to his current diet could make a big difference health-wise. I do pasta often and also rely upon the occasional hot dog.

Is he doing beef hot dogs (Target and TJ's have Hebrew National the cheapest in the Midwest)? How about wheat buns?

How about whole wheat pasta?

Though he doesn't "do" vegetables, you could also throw in some frozen edamame into the sauce as you warm it for a test run to see if he notices/cares (which ups protein, is efficient/lazy and it hardly has a taste).

Just a couple of tweaks that could add a little boost!

• slowlane
    13 years ago

He could probably learn/invent some really good sandwiches. If he had a George Foreman-type grill, he could do all kinds of grilled sandwiches; many of them are practically full meals, and making a sandwich, even a hot one, often doesn't feel like cooking.

But if he's anything like my students, he'll be mostly living on pizza, Ramen noodles and energy drinks :P

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks