SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bostonpat_gw

A Tale of Two Yeasts - Rapid Rise or Active Dry?

bostonpat_gw
14 years ago

I made my first bread (ever) last weekend. I used a recipe I found on King Arthur Flour website for 'Classic Sandwich Bread'.

The recipe called for '1 packet active dry yeast dissolved in 1 tablespoon warm water OR 2 teaspoons instant yeast'

added to the dry ingredients.

The recipe called for 2 rises - the first one went a little over the reccomended time since I fell asleep while watching a movie waiting for it to rise , but I punched it down and continued the process and let it rise a second time.

The bread came out beautifully - at least visually.

I am not sure if it's me, but the bread had a sweet, yeast odor to it. It's been years since I have had homemade bread and remember my mother's bread when I was a young girl - the 'bread smell' wasn't the same and the texture in my bread came out a bit like Pepperidge Farm bread - very fine.

I ate some of it and it did taste a bit sweet to me. It also came out a bit yellow - I used butter and am thinking that would account for the color.

Does rapid rise yeast - which is what I used affect the flavor?

Did the extended 1st rise affect the flavor?

I have seen the same yeast amount used in other recipes but they made 2 loaves of bread. I'd make 2 loaves but I would have to freeze the other since it would take me a week to eat one.! I'm looking for a plain old white bread like Mom made in the 60's - she's not with us to give advice so I am turning here.

I'd love to hear from you what your thoughts on this are!

Pat

Here is a link that might be useful: Classic White Bread

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!