SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bstew_gw

52' RCA model P52960 - turns self off/on with static-like distort

bstew
18 years ago

Please help - I've got too much money in this 3yr old projection TV, plus my first kid on the way, so I can't afford to lose it. All of a sudden it started showing these weird symptoms:

1) quick bursts of weird static-like sounds along with "ripples" of distortion briefly appearing on the screen (almost like someone briefly plugged a blender into the same outlet, you know?)

2) turning itself off, and usually back on after a couple seconds

3) the picture also would get a little distorted sometimes once it starts acting like this. The coloring looks fine, but it looks almost as if the picture is skewed off to the side a bit, plus you can't see the scrolling news updates at the bottom of the screen (like on CNN)

Any ideas as to why this suddenly started happening? We haven't bought any new electronics or plugged anything new into the same outlet. Maybe a power surge from the lightening last week? I'm totally lost as to what's going on here -- and the wife and I are going crazy without a working TV in the house (you don't want an angry pregnant woman in the house).

Is it the flyback or HOT thing mentioned in other posts? Would that cause all these symptoms? And what's a reasonable charge for a professional to fix it? Are we talking $100, $300, $500? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!