SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Consumer Auto Battery Chargers

jerry_nj
18 years ago

I got some input response on the "Car" forum, but the only experience I got was from a auto shop. This advice warned me, in my words, that electronics in modern cars requires that any battery charger used to feed the car's d/c system via a charger must provide a "pure" d/c ouput. That is, the good old rectified and voltage adjusted (transformer and diode(s)) a/c isn't good enough.

With that as a thought, my use has been limited to charging batteries, not running the car's electrical load, here's what I posted:

I've been having some problems with my automatic (shuts down when the battery is charged) auto battery charger - 12VDC. Looking at what's available at WalMart I see they carry both Black and Decker (new one on me) and the old standby Schumacher. Both offer automatic chargers that include digital readouts for voltage and amperage (same readout)and claim to have some diagnostic capabilities, all for about $40 for a 10A max charge. Larger chargers are also available at additional cost. As for diagnostic capabilities, I suppose one could claim provision of a volt meter provides some diagnostic capabilities, e.g., a fully charged battery should be at least 13.8 volts (2.3 volts per cell). I recall, however, seeing on the box some "error" codes can also be displayed, and all for way under $100. The cost goes up with current capacity and features. For something like $75 one gets at least 30 amp charging capacity.

Any recommendations out on this forum? I could not find any history when I searched this forum for Battery Chargers.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH