SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve_a_gw

dvd record/vcr combos

steve_a
18 years ago

I am in the market for a reasonably-priced ($300) DVD Recorder/VCR combo unit. This is to replace a DVD (player)/VCR unit on which the VCR has stopped playing. I have tried to clean the heads, to no avail. Rather that put any repair money ($100?) into the unit, weÂve decided to upgrade to a DVD recorder. The combo unit is preferable as space is at a premium. I realize that separate units would provide more insurance against a repeat of the current situation, but frankly the extra hassle and space are just not worth it. IÂm trying to decide among the candidates from Sony, Toshiba, Samsung and Panasonic. We generally like Panasonic products, but the VCR on the current unit died, so thatÂs not encouraging. CrutchfieldÂs site is pushing the Sony VX500 at $329, but the reviews of that unit on that site are rather discouraging. Like many people who post here, IÂm not a fan of SonyÂs products anymore. I have not found any other reviews of these products so far. Picture is a factor; we have an HD TV with digital cable. We get a fine picture in any mode. However, IÂm not after high-end equipment, as is obvious from my price range. Anyone have specific experience, or even a general opinion of Toshiba, Samsung or Panasonic, JVC, LG, etc?, especially the VCRs? Any other brands I should consider? Thanks for any help. Steve

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio