SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Collard Greens recipe

Lars
15 years ago

Yesterday I made collard greens for dinner, along with some boiled Yukon Gold potatoes, and that was our entire meal! I thought I had read some collard greens recipes here, but I can't find them. Anyway, I tried a new method, which is very quick, as opposed to the hour plus boiling that Paula Deen does with hers. Here's the recipe I made:

Ingredients

1 huge bunch of collard greens (possibly 2 pounds)

1 tbsp butter

1 tbsp olive oil

4 cloves garlic

1-2 Serrano peppers, seeded and minced.

Salt and black pepper to taste

Put a large pot of water on to boil. Remove the stems from the collard greens, and cut the huge leaves in half. Discard the stems, and cut the half leaves into 3/4 inch strips. You can cut them strips in half if you want also, although I don't know if it is necessary. When the water has boiled, add the greens, and set the timer for 15 minutes.

While this is cooking, mince the garlic and chilies, and sauté them in the butter and oil on low heat for no more than five minutes. When the 15 minutes for the greens are up, strain the greens in a colander and press out excess moisture with the back of a wooden spoon. Add the greens to the garlic and chilies and sauté for two or three minutes more. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. It won't need much pepper because of the chilies.

Some people add lemon juice to this, but I found that it didn't need any. The greens were not bitter at all and had a very buttery flavor. They were by far the best collard greens I've ever had - possibly because they were not overcooked. With the stems removed, they do not need more than 15 minutes of boiling, and that could possibly be reduced to 5 or 10 minutes.

Who else makes collard greens this way? Do you have any suggestions or tips? I'm a big fan of greens, which is why I started the spinach thread. I like collard greens because they will keep for quite a while in the fridge before being cooked. I had these for a week before I cooked them, and they showed no signs of aging.

Lars

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County