SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debodun

Telephone Problem

debodun
14 years ago

I'm having an intermittent problem receiving incoming calls. Last week I couldn't even make calls - when I tried, the line was either dead, had a loud crackling noise, or I heard a recorded message saying "If you wish to make a call, please hand up and try again." I called Verizon and since then I have had a dial tone, but still have a problem receiving. When I call the phone company, they just tell me to check my "box". I can't see a "box" like they describe anywhere in the system. The telephone line comes from the pole and goes into a hole drilled in the cellar window. I traced it from there to where it disappears through a hole in the sub-floor. Upstairs, the line goes into the bottom of a very small box (2 x 2") on the wall and the wire to the phone comes out the top. This small box has a screw in the center. I took the cover off and there are four more screws in the corners of this box to which a green and red wire are attached with a spade connectors to diagonal screws. A black and yellow wire are not connected. My house is 100+ years old and the wiring was probably installed in the 1940's when everyone had rotary phones. However, this worked fine up until about 2 weeks ago even when What could be the problem? Should I have the telephone line re-wired? Will it affect the rotary phone? Who should do it - the phone company, a private contractor, or who?

Comments (3)