SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
niftyc

the invincible dusty smell

niftyc
17 years ago

We just moved to a new city and bought a large 100-year-old house. Unfortunately, my wife and child have turned out to be allergic -- either to the city or to the house, we aren't yet sure. While we are working with the allergist to sort this out, I am trying to remove potential sources of allergens in my house. Here's the disaster:

The room that we thought would be a good children's room has a strange dusty smell that is impossible to eradicate. And boy have I tried. The smell hits you when you walk into the bedroom as a tingle in your nose. It doesn't smell bad, but it does smell like there is something in the air. It sometimes makes me sneeze a little, and I am not allergic. So...

I washed everything.

I tried airing the room out. This makes the smell harder to detect, but only while the windows are open, and this is not practical in our climate.

I removed the drapes and threw them away, replacing them with those spring-loaded rolling shades that collect less dust.

I removed the carpeting, now it is hardwood floor.

I washed everything again.

Someone told me that the smell might indicate termites. I had a termite inspection. (No termites.)

I installed a new extre-large $350 sharp plasmacluster high-capacity HEPA air filter with an impurity sensor. It gives the room a "green" rating, but everyone agrees it smells dusty in there.

I've tried to control the humidity and the temperature in the room, keeping both down with a/c and a dehumidifier (humidity is now 45%).

I got rid of the bed in case it was harboring dust. I replaced it with a new mattress with an allergy cover.

There is one ceiling a/c vent. Just in case, I have scheduled a professional duct cleaning for the a/c system but honestly the vent looks pretty spotless now. If anything, we all think the dusty smell is BETTER when the a/c is running.

I moved my child's stuffed animals.

There is radiator heat. I washed the radiator very thoroughly.

You can see I'm getting desperate now.

I removed everything from the room.

I removed the fixtures and outlet covers and vacuumed them out and looked around for dust. (No dust, nothing unusual.)

I washed the walls and floors with trisodium phosphate.

I am planning to paint, but as far as I know this is unlikely to do the trick.

The smell is entirely localized to this room.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is REALLY driving me crazy. Obviously.

niftyc

Comments (13)