SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

My 10 day retreat ..a long post...

User
11 years ago

My DH and I returned Sunday afternoon from our annual 10 day silent Vipassana meditation retreat. I have started and stopped numerous times , trying to write about it for all of you. There is no way to convey the enriching experience, the life-changing moments, that take place in such an environment.

You are not to have eye contact or physical contact or verbal contact with anyone for the whole 10 days. Starting at 6 PM on Wed and ending on the Saturday 10 days later at 9 AM. Only eye contact and speech are added back at that point not physical contact.

The one exception is the assistant teacher who speaks to you and answers questions in interviews and the resident women's manager who helps if you have a problem...like the dorm is out of toilet paper :)

The reason for this complete silence is to try and clear out all the noise from one's mind so that one can truly meditate. It isn't possible to do deep meditation IRL for most people as they live in world of too much input. This environment is a privilege and a gift from the Vipassana people.

All of the retreat is free. The servers and teachers etc are ALL volunteers and "old students", meaning they have sat a 10 day course in the past.

Our day begins at 4 AM with a soft gong that is carried by an old student who volunteers to do this job. Meditation starts at 4:30 AM and goes to 6:30 AM. Breakfast is 6:30 AM - 7:30 AM and then a break ..this is to do resting or walking on the lovely forest paths or wash your clothes...you have a bucket and soap and an outside faucet and a clothesline. 8 AM - 9 AM is meditation with the teachers and inst. and then you cont. to meditate till 11 AM. Lunch is a full and wonderful vegetarian meal till 11:30 AM. Break for rest/walk/tasks . Meditation 1PM til 2:30 PM on your own and then with the teachers from 2:30 PM -3:30 PM. Then meditate on your own til 5 PM. There is no dinner...old students have lemon water or hot ginger tea only from 5 PM-6PM. Then 6PM-7PM meditate with teachers and 7PM-8:30PM is a taped video discourse by Goenka the main teacher of Vipassana meditation..he lives in Mumbai and is 89 yrs old. 8:30 PM -9 PM meditate with teachers...then a question/answer time one on one with teachers. Lights out at 10 PM.

We sleep in bunks in a bldg divided into dorm rooms. One bath for 8 women. I was with 7 younger women and was the only old student. All of them did very well for the most part. They were wonderfully considerate roommates and helped keep all very clean...even though they didn't need to since only the old students are responsible for keeping the area clean. The scrubbed the toilet and the shower and washbowls and kept the floor swept. At last day when we were allowed to talk they thanked me for setting such a great example and refused to let me do final clean up. Very generous of them.

Things I learned. I thought I was practicing well here at home this past year. I thought I had really heard the talks last year. I thought I was prepared for the emotions that arise from the intense meditation.

Nope. Due to my bike trip last year and the emotional upheaval and consequent separation of DH and I so he could take care of our son in CA we were not practicing the way we had been taught. The tapes are the same every year. Boy...DH and I both laughed on the way home and said we sure didn't hear and absorb as much as we thought. There is no way to prepare for the enormous emotional arising /passing that takes place. It is cleansing but hard and most necessary.

We offered to give people a ride to the 10 day retreat if they were on our way. It is a 6 hr drive from our home to the location in Jesup GA. We did take a woman with us. I didn't know her before but we are now finding our way to a friendship with her. Our karma must have been very good on all sides. She has a vision problem due to a stroke 1 1/2 yrs ago at age 48.DH has spent the past 2 days working on a computer set up that will now allow her to have her computer read all of her emails and all her books and recipes to her and will allow her to use only voice commands. I am going to teach her mise en place so she can once again cook for herself, her confusion in the kitchen has prevented this till now. She has taught us how much a person can appear to lose and yet...not...

Every second everything around us and in us changes. Every second. Nothing good or bad or neutral will ever remain the same...ever. If you cling to the good or are averse to the bad you are costing yourself great suffering. All will change.

Vipassana meditation is the only meditation that allows one to go deep into the mind and work on noting the sensations that arise in and on the body while noting the respirations that accompany the senations. One notes the sensations and notes that they pass away. One slowly brings this into ones everyday life so that the habit mind is changed.

It takes practice. The response that you would have to someone saying something ugly to you, for instance, will over time become neutral...rather than the hair-trigger response that you might have made in the past.

We are now practicing 1 hr twice a day , as we were taught. We are also adding the metta practice at the end of each session which we had not been doing. Metta means that you send good thoughts to those everywhere. You write your own that fits you. DH and I wrote the following :

May I be happy, healthy and wise.
May no harm befall me.
May I attain my spiritual goals.
May I forgive myself, forgive others, and be forgiven by others.
May I love myself, love others, and be loved by others.
May I have the equanimity to endure life's ups and downs, and my own inevitable failures.
May I have real peace.
May I die a happy death.

May my family and friends ...

May my enemies ...

May all beings ...

It isn't possible to say this twice a day with feeling and not be changed. Not be moved to behave differently toward yourself and others. Already we are noting a difference.

Is this easy ? No...is it worth it ? Yes. Is this a cult ? No:) Is it a practical way to take your life and make it better and more worthwhile and allow you to be free of the bonds of clinging and aversion. When you work on the circle around you and each person around you does the same the power is spread...wavelets...moving one after the other....impacting all those in your close as well as distant sphere.

I linked below to the 3 main parts that Vipassana meditation is based on. sila, samadhi, panna. You can look up more if you are interested. It is a way of living. It is secular. It is not a religion.

I hope that this has not been to long and that I have conveyed all correctly. c

Here is a link that might be useful: Vipassana meditation

Comments (19)