SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sapphires_gw

Trader Joe's Favorites

sapphires
15 years ago

Hi,

I just found out a friend of mine lives near a Trader Joe's. He is willing to go they for me. What goodies should I have him get for me? I have never been to one or shopped at one before, so l@@king for you to guide me through. Thanks.

Sapphires

Comments (38)

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sapphires,

I am glad you asked and am interested to hear what others have to say. There is one about 1/2 hour from my house and I was in that area last week and wandered around for awhile. I bought some organic, vegetarian baked beans which we really liked (no HFCS). Also some vegetarian low fat refried pinto beans "salsa style" and Cuban style black beans which we have not tried yet. Also a jar of cacciatore simmer sauce for chicken/pork and a few barrel shaped cans of soup (French onion and minestrone). Have not tried any of those yet.

The produce did not tempt me - I have several good fruit/vegetable markets nearby. The breads did! And if it hadn't been so frigid outside I would have treated myself to one of their beautiful orchid plants.

Oh, and also bought a large container of Fage whole milk Greek yogurt. I love that stuff - can't find it anywhere nearby.

seagrass

• deborah_ps
    15 years ago

*Pistachios
    *Savory thin mini Crackers (a sesame cracker) they come in a larger cracker too, but I like the minis.
    *Sesame Sticks
    *Cambozola cheese (semi soft brie type veined with blue cheese)
    *Capers
    *Morella Cherries (next to the jams)
    *Creme Fraiche
    *Sun Dried Tomatoes
    *Rice Pilaf
    *Greek style Yoghurt
    *Saffron (great price)
    *Two Buck Chuck wines
    *Hand lotions
    *Yellow kitchen sponges (the kind that are thin until you wet them
    I could go on and on...I do most of my grocery shopping there and love to just browse up and down the aisles

• Related Discussions

A Trader Joes favorites list

Q

Comments (49)
    Speaking of brownies... I always loved the Ghiradelli brownie mix (never made them but had them at a neighbor's house and asked her for recipe since they were so good and she told me they were this mix). Anyway, it turns out that I always liked boxed brownies better than my own because they were chewier and I love a chewy brownie. Then one day I came across this (link below). Cooks Illustrated set out to figure out why boxed brownies were better than home made and this recipe is what came out of that. If you like chewy brownies, these are really, really good. I was so excited to find this because first I don't use boxed stuff for baking. Always make from scratch. And, second the Ghiradelli mix has articifial ingredients so even if I was going to buy one, it couldn't be that one. Sorry for the hijcak, but you got me thinking about brownies. Here is a link that might be useful: Chewy Brownies
    ...See More

Trader Joe's 44 Favorites List

Q

Comments (40)
    This list is so odd. I shop at TJ's almost every week and I buy or like very few of the items on this list! I would be darned if I had to stand in line for 30 min to check out. Since TJ's began in the L.A. area, we have a goodly number of stores. Parking still stinks in most locations, however there are alternative stores and times to shop. Cathy, I'm thrilled that you don't have to drive all the way to Atlanta to find those fun food items!. Good way to make lemonade out of lemons! In addition to some of their produce ( the Kumatos are great!), their pricing on items like Lactaid milk and all dairy products is also very good. We buy cheeses (DH loves their Quatro Fromaggio blend and I use plenty the grated parmesan/romano cheese blend), the dairy products and some juices are definite winners. My grands like Hold the Cones and DH really likes their edamame hummus and their new pomegranate walnut hummus type dip. I buy their green Lindsay olives, marinated and unmarinated artichoke hearts, fresh bruschetta and 3 of their vinegar's. The white balsamic, the small square jar red balsamic and their delicious orange vinegar! Orchids and flowers are definite faves. My dad loved the same ginger thins, but DH prefers the dark chocolate lace cookies. I'm sad that the lost their supplier for meringues. I also discovered a new seltzer drink -- Spindrift Seltzer in grapefruit or raspberry-lime. They are delightful change from the usual sparkling water with lemon or lime. I could go on, but most of the items I like and buy are NOT on that list!
    ...See More

What to include in a Trader Joe's Gift Bundle

Q

Comments (56)
    Here's what works for crowds at my store: There are the early birds who are practically standing in line at 8 when they open. They are mostly finished and in the checkout lines by 8:20 or 8:30, so I try to get there at that time, as it picks up again after 9 a.m. It also is less crowded close to closing. I raced in one time about 10 min before closing and as I checked out and commented that I almost didn't make it before closing, the worker told me that if you're in the store at closing, they don't shoo you out. They are there stocking until later anyway, so they leave you in peace to finish up. At closing, they may be out of stuff on the shelves, tho, but often it's in the back waiting to be put on the shelves. They are GREAT about checking for you and bringing what you need out of the back, if it's there.
    ...See More

Trader Joe’s discussion

Q

Comments (41)
    I lock my car simply because it pulls in the wing mirrors which I think helps the people parking next to me. Are car parking slots getting smaller? Sure seems that way! If I can help it, I do not carry a purse to the grocery. I put my drivers license and a credit card in one pocket of my pants and the key fob in the other pocket. The closest TJ to me is more than an hour and a half away. I might throw a cooler in the car and go twice a year or so. I’m like a kid in a candy store buying stuff I don’t need! I have 2 packages of the puff pastry in my freezer now. Bought it only because I had heard how good it was. I guess I need to find a use for it since I will soon be without a freezer. I’m giving it to DD and DSIL for the 1/2 cow they are buying. @ratherbesewing, regarding TJ cheese…at all costs avoid the low fat Brie! I somehow picked it up by mistake and didn’t notice until I got home. If you have an old rubber ball, just gnaw on it; same texture and taste!
    ...See More
  • Tracey_OH
    15 years ago

Here's what I usually get:
    Dried monmorency cherries
    Spices (cheap and good)
    Balsamic vinegar
    EVOO
    Grapeseed oil
    TJ Barbecue sauce
    Organic ketchup
    Artichoke hearts
    Joe-Joe's (TJ's healthier version of Oreos)
    Dark chocolate covered raisins
    Graham crackers
    Cereals-just tried Whole Grain Chocolatey-filled Cereal Bites
    Moka Java Coffee
    Semi-sweet chocolate chips

I only go when I'm in Ohio visiting family so I generally don't get anything frozen or refrigerated. They do have some wonderful cheeses at great prices. Let us know what you think!

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Sweet Potato Frites

• annie1992
    15 years ago

tracey, I only go when I'm at Elery's, so I usually don't get the refrigerated or frozen stuff either.

I really like:

Pound Plus Chocolate
    Cereals
    Tuscan Beans (in a can)
    Papadums (in the snack aisle)
    Grade B maple syrup usually cheaper than anyone
    Peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets
    Flavored pistachios
    Flax seed tortilla chips

I make my own yogurt but Elery likes the greek stuff he buys there. He also likes their wine selection, although here the two buck Chuck is actually Three Buck Chuck. The Monkey Princess and Bruvver love the cookies shaped like cats, birds, various animals.

Annie

• Seasyde
    15 years ago

It seems we find something new to try every time we go there, but the repeat winners are:

Candied ginger (yum!)
    dried fruits of all kinds
    grape seed oil
    olive oil - I like the Greek stuff
    Good price on McCann's Irish Oatmeal
    3 buck chuck - my fave is the the rose
    simmer sauces - various types nice to have on hand for a quick dinner
    chicken gyoza - frozen - also nice for a quick dinner

• petaloid
    15 years ago

New Mexico Pin Coffee

• kathleenca
    15 years ago

A couple of my newer favorites are the ham steak (it's about a pound, from the Niman Ranch, & has excellent flavor), & the frozen biscuits (six to a box). They also have very good stuffed pork chops & chicken breasts.

TJ has good prices on nuts (cashews, pecans, almonds, peanuts, available, salted, non-salted, light salt, roasted & raw) & dried fruits, too.

The lemon loaf is excellent, & good for morning coffee or dessert.

They're also known for their wine selections & prices, & prices on selected liquor.

Kathleen

• mrsmarv
    15 years ago

I've never been to a Trader Joes (gasp!!), since we don't have one close by. I recently found out that Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi's, and we do have an Aldi's that I shop at. It's within a 20 minute drive from our house. I like Aldi's because of the "badged" house brand items, and also because of the ridiculously reasonable price. So I'm wondering: are many of the products carried at Aldi's also carried at Trader Joe's, only badged with the Trader Joe's label? Inquiring minds want to know ;o)

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

nuts
    blocks of chocolate for dipping
    organic sugar
    vanilla
    roasted red peppers
    Greek yogurt
    dried bananas
    low sodium deli turkey
    cheeses
    eggplant hummus
    Judy's Breadsticks (sunflower seed studded whole wheat bread)
    mini pita bread (so cute)
    21 Seasoning Salute
    wine
    coffee beans
    truffle oil (seasonal)
    naan
    maple syrup
    graham crackers
    chocolate truffles
    cheese puffs

• Fori
    15 years ago

We go for milk and eggs. It's close and cheap. Makes my dad writhe in jealousy as he loves TJ's and thinks of it as a treat. The amounts of booze and junkfood my parents buy at TJ's is embarrassing..."but it's 2 hours away from where we live and the two-buck Chuck is THREE bucks there!"

I'm gonna look for the graham crackers now though. I hadn't seen them!

• sflinda
    15 years ago

Their flour tortillas are the closest to home made that I've ever found in a store.

• phill173
    15 years ago

I love the Trader Joe's Hummus quartet, and the fresh mozzarella is the cheapest around.

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

Bread
    Fresh-cut flowers, plants
    TJs Habanero Lime Salsa, TJs Vegetarian Chili, Cream Cheese, shredded cheese to make dip for Chips/Tortillas
    Wine -- NOT 2-buck Chuck
    Milk, Eggs, Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, Cheese
    Cereals
    Frozen: fish filets, Sweet Potato Fries, vegetables, Streudel, fruits and berries
    TJs Ice Cream -- especially their Mint Chip!
    Some frozen prepared foods -- as the whim suits me
    Tejava Ice Tea
    Lavander Sachet bags, Scrubbers, Dish Soap, shampoo
    More, I sure, depending on my needs.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Yea - get all the stuff listed above.....

And several cases of 2 Buck Chuck - we like the Merlot, Cab. and Chardonnay the best

Alexa

• mjrdolfan
    15 years ago

In addition to the above mentioned...I love thier

orange champagne vinegar
    cheapest crumbled feta and goat cheese around
    orange cranberry scones
    mini challah
    kettle corn popcorn (it is addicting!!!)
    frozen creamed spinach (however, the calories will kill you!
    frozen juice bars...i love the mixed fruit ones

My one hate is the frozen vege enchillada..the girl told me that everyone loves them ...I found them completely inedible...not just bad...but horrible!
    I can't think of anything that I have had there.

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

Picatta sauce - jar - great for a quick dinner w/ leftover grilled chicken breasts - I add a can of artichoke hearts-serve over angel hair pasta
    Sweet Potato fries - frozen (dedtired mentioned)
    Wasabi peas
    Sesame sticks
    Gorgonzola roasted crackers
    Roasted Red pepper soup - in a carton - add nothing - just heat.
    Stuffed Olives - 2 kinds - garlic & blue cheese - jars
    Marinara sauce - jar
    Alfredo sauce - jar
    Sour cream - can't remember the name - Red & wht container - cheap & thick

• goldgirl
    15 years ago

A guilty pleasure I discovered recently - TJ's Gourmet Fried Onion pieces. Ingredients are onions, vegetable oil (canola and palm), wheat flour and salt.

Looks like Wegman's has the same product, but I don't know which one is cheaper.

Sue

• cloudy_christine
    15 years ago

Alexa, do you drive to an out-of-state TJ's?
    (So the rest of you know why ask, Alexa and I live in Pennsylvania, where wine is only in stores run by the nanny state. So no wine at Trader Joe's.)

What I buy there:
    Greek yogurt -- not TJ's Greek style, but the real Greek stuff
    "soft whole wheat bread" - but I have a love-hate relationship with it; the flavor is excellent but it's often underbaked.
    Monte Pollino olive oil, but they only have it sometimes
    canned beans
    beef broth concentrate in little packets
    Havarti cheese
    whipping cream that's not ultra-pasteurized
    triple gingersnaps

I'm going on Monday. It's an hour away so I don't go very often. I'll be studying this thread for new ideas.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

I looked over many of the fresh beef labels yesteday, and I couldn't find one that didn't say 'natural, no anti-biotics, no hormones, vegetarian diet'. All of them. I could have missed a package, but my impression is all of their beef was 'clean'. I have seen grass fed product on the shelves.

I have been buying their packaged instant oatmeal but am planning on making my own 'packets' - from their ingredients (oatmeal, cinnamon, dried blueberries, maybe agave nectar/maple syrup).

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

I buy many items: I love the White balsamic Vinegar, TJ fat free Balsamic Vinegarette, Eggplant Garlic Spread, Honey Wheat Pretzel sticks, Sun Dried Tomato Brushetta, Swiss Almond crunch Cookies, TJ Mini Choclate Chips, Fruit sticks (like roll-ups), Vegetable Fried Rice, Chicken Shu Mai, Ground Buffalo STeak Burgers, Vegetable Egg Rolls, Tri Sampler Goat Cheese, Corn and Chile Tomato-Less Salsa, Fire Roasted Tomato Salsa, All frozen Vegetables, Pumpkin Butter, Red Pepper Spread w/Eggplant & Garlic, Trader Giotto's Spaghetti Lunghi (extra long spaghetti) I actually have everyting I named right now in the frig or pantry I now go bi-weekly to our location Im really getting addicted! Im actually going this morning!

• weed30 St. Louis
    15 years ago

I like their Salsa Verde, and their Double Roasted Salsa is one of the best jarred salsa's I've had. If you get this, make sure it's the Double Roasted and not the Fire Roasted. Here's a

Their Chimichurri Rice is fabulous! It's in a bag in the frozen section. Sometimes I stretch it by adding 1 cup cooked white or brown basmati. Just stir it in at the end.

• dees_1
    15 years ago

mrsmarv: While the high-level ownership is closely related, the products offered at Aldi's is completely different from TJs. Aldi is a completely different experience and has benefits of it's own.

My favorite TJ products include:
    Dried fruits, nuts
    spices
    jarred Indian simmer sauces
    Plugra butter (cheapest around!)
    Frozen veggies (green beans are the BEST)
    Jarred marinated mushrooms (the only ones I can find w/out peppers)
    pasta
    varietal rice (wild, brown, jasmine, basmati, etc)
    oils
    gluten free products (with flavor, thank you!)
    seasonal stuff (this year it was Mexican Hot Chocolate cookies)

And the topper? Chocolate covered, peanut butter filled pretzels! *swoon* If you must try one thing, those will make you go back for more!

Dislikes? Discontinuing products without too much notice. I'm not a fan of their produce. Their cheese selection is pretty good but you have to watch what you buy; it goes bad FAST!

We have to drive 2 hours to the closest TJs (better than over 5) and go about once every three months. Bring a cooler to pick up some dairy if you're far away.

• TACHE
    15 years ago

Triple Ginger cookie thins (really delish)
    Cheeses-Port Salut, Compozola,most of their blue cheeses are good, mascarpone
    Creme Fraiche
    Spicey hummus
    capers
    Dijon mustard
    Roasted unsalted nuts
    DH likes Chas Shaw merlot(3$ here)
    most of their organic dairy products are good

That's all I can think of now but I sure have expanded my list by reading this thread. Thanks a lot

• Karigraphy
    15 years ago

Regular TJ purchases:

Multigrain vegetable lasagna (frozen)
    Chicken burritos (frozen)
    Brown basmati rice
    Parmesan cheese, grated
    Meyer lemons (in season, the only place I can get them locally)
    Flaxseed and soy tortilla chips
    Whole wheat pitas
    Nutty Chocolate breakfast bars (kids love 'em)
    Marinara sauce
    Whole wheat pastas
    Smoked salmon (fresh)
    Ak-Mok crackers - Stone ground whole wheat sesame flats
    Menage a trois sliced sweet peppers (frozen)
    Marinated tuna or mahi mahi steaks (frozen)
    Canned beans and tomatoes
    Fage Greek yogurt
    Harvest grains blend
    Orange champagne vinegar Makes a wonderful dressing
    Sweet & Spicy Pecans - Serve on a salad w/ above dressing and strawberries!

Kari

• sapphires
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I don't know where to start.

Sapphires

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Shelley, If you still have a package of bamboo rice, would you report back the carbs in a serving please? DH loves rice but he is diabetic. I have heard--but nothing specific--that it is low in carbs.

Thank you.

• susan_in_nc
    15 years ago

TJ's carries a GLUTEN FREE chocolate cake! It is yummy and worry free! A special treat for me. They also carry a variety of other products that make life easier -- pizza that doesn't taste like cardboard and GF tortilla (rice flour).

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

3 that weren't mentioned that are often or always in my cart. I only go every 1-3 months because the two "close" to me are 1:20 or 1:30 AWAY.
    The frozen Pineapple...
    Almond Meal...
    and the General Tso's sauce...

I also love the Camomile/Lavender hand soap.

I buy Envirokidz cereal there..It's cheaper than anywhere. I love the Ketchup.
    I get a few boxes of the Pad Thai for my teen son. Brown Rice Pasta (again cheaper than anywhere and I like it better than Tinkyada.)

oooh and I LOVE the italian chopped salad...

• deemarie5500
    15 years ago

May I just add that I have never purchased anything @ Trader Joe's that we did not devour and love! There is a TJs about 2 miles from my home. We received gift certificates for Christmas!

Enjoy!
    Dee

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Weed: aye caramba that chimichurri rice is spicy, GF!!! Now I'm afraid to open the double roasted salsa.

• cabogirl
    15 years ago

I'm there at least twice a week (it is close). I buy a lot of what has already been mentioned. Never had a problem with any of the fresh vegetables or fruits. I buy their blue cheese, crumbled feta and fresh mozzarella. I love their caponata. I always seem to have an opened jar in the fridge. I get unsweetened vanilla almond breeze (great for low-carbers). I also use their soaps - body - clothes and dishes.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

For those who didn't see the link, I divided up and listed what several posters on GW's Cooking Forum like to buy at Trader Joe's, separated by ----s
    ----
    organic, vegetarian baked beans which we really liked (no HFCS). vegetarian low fat refried pinto beans "salsa style"
    Cuban style black beans which we have not tried yet
    cacciatore simmer sauce for chicken/pork
    breads
    beautiful orchid plants.
    Fage whole milk Greek yogurt
    ----
    *Pistachios
    *Savory thin mini Crackers (a sesame cracker) they come in a larger cracker too, but I like the minis.
    *Sesame Sticks
    *Cambozola cheese (semi soft brie type veined with blue cheese)
    *Capers
    *Morella Cherries (next to the jams)
    *Creme Fraiche
    *Sun Dried Tomatoes
    *Rice Pilaf
    *Greek style Yoghurt
    *Saffron (great price)
    *Two Buck Chuck wines
    *Hand lotions
    *Yellow kitchen sponges (the kind that are thin until you wet them
    I could go on and on...I do most of my grocery shopping there and love to just browse up and down the aisles
    ----
    Dried monmorency cherries
    Spices (cheap and good)
    Balsamic vinegar
    EVOO
    Grapeseed oil
    TJ Barbecue sauce
    Organic ketchup
    Artichoke hearts
    Joe-Joe's (TJ's healthier version of Oreos)
    Dark chocolate covered raisins
    Graham crackers
    Cereals-just tried Whole Grain Chocolatey-filled Cereal Bites
    Moka Java Coffee
    Semi-sweet chocolate chips
    ----
    Sweet Potato Fries
    ----
    Pound Plus Chocolate
    Cereals
    Tuscan Beans (in a can)
    Papadums (in the snack aisle)
    Grade B maple syrup usually cheaper than anyone
    Peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets
    Flavored pistachios
    Flax seed tortilla chips
    cookies shaped like cats, birds, various animals.
    ----
    Candied ginger (yum!)
    dried fruits of all kinds
    grape seed oil
    olive oil - I like the Greek stuff
    Good price on McCann's Irish Oatmeal
    3 buck chuck - my fave is the the rose
    simmer sauces - various types nice to have on hand for a quick dinner
    chicken gyoza - frozen - also nice for a quick dinner
    ----
    New Mexico Piñon Coffee
    ----
    ham steak (it's about a pound, from the Niman Ranch, & has excellent flavor
    frozen biscuits (six to a box
    stuffed pork chops & chicken breasts.
    good prices on nuts (cashews, pecans, almonds, peanuts, available, salted, non-salted, light salt, roasted & raw) & dried fruits, too.
    The lemon loaf is excellent, & good for morning coffee or dessert.
    They're also known for their wine selections & prices, & prices on selected liquor.
    ----
    nuts
    blocks of chocolate for dipping
    organic sugar
    vanilla
    roasted red peppers
    Greek yogurt
    dried bananas
    low sodium deli turkey
    cheeses
    eggplant hummus
    Judy's Breadsticks (sunflower seed studded whole wheat bread)
    mini pita bread (so cute)
    21 Seasoning Salute
    wine
    coffee beans
    truffle oil (seasonal)
    naan
    maple syrup
    graham crackers
    chocolate truffles
    cheese puffs
    ----
    milk and eggs
    ----
    Their flour tortillas are the closest to home made that I've ever found in a store.
    ----
    I love the Trader Joe's Hummus quartet, and the fresh mozzarella is the cheapest around.
    ----
    Bread
    Fresh-cut flowers, plants
    TJs Habanero Lime Salsa, TJs Vegetarian Chili, Cream Cheese, shredded cheese to make dip for Chips/Tortillas
    Wine -- NOT 2-buck Chuck
    Milk, Eggs, Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, Cheese
    Cereals
    Frozen: fish filets, Sweet Potato Fries, vegetables, Streudel, fruits and berries
    TJs Ice Cream -- especially their Mint Chip!
    Some frozen prepared foods -- as the whim suits me
    Tejava Ice Tea
    Lavander Sachet bags, Scrubbers, Dish Soap, shampoo
    ----
    Yea - get all the stuff listed above.....
    And several cases of 2 Buck Chuck - we like the Merlot, Cab. and Chardonnay the best
    ----
    orange champagne vinegar
    cheapest crumbled feta and goat cheese around
    orange cranberry scones
    mini challah
    kettle corn popcorn (it is addicting!!!)
    frozen creamed spinach (however, the calories will kill you!
    frozen juice bars...i love the mixed fruit ones
    My one hate is the frozen vege enchilladao
    ----
    Picatta sauce - jar - great for a quick dinner w/ leftover grilled chicken breasts - I add a can of artichoke hearts-serve over angel hair pasta
    Sweet Potato fries - frozen
    Wasabi peas
    Sesame sticks
    Gorgonzola roasted crackers
    Roasted Red pepper soup - in a carton - add nothing - just heat.
    Stuffed Olives - 2 kinds - garlic & blue cheese - jars
    Marinara sauce - jar
    Alfredo sauce - jar
    Sour cream - can't remember the name - Red & wht container - cheap & thick
    ----
    TJ's Gourmet Fried Onion pieces. Ingredients are onions, vegetable oil (canola and palm), wheat flour and salt.
    ----
    Greek yogurt -- not TJ's Greek style, but the real Greek stuff
    "soft whole wheat bread".
    Monte Pollino olive oil
    canned beans
    beef broth concentrate in little packets
    Havarti cheese
    whipping cream that's not ultra-pasteurized
    triple gingersnaps
    ----
    I looked over many of the fresh beef labels yesteday, and I couldn't find one that didn't say 'natural, no anti-biotics, no hormones, vegetarian diet'. All of them. I could have missed a package, but my impression is all of their beef was 'clean'. I have seen grass fed product on the shelves.
    ----
    White balsamic vinegar
    TJ fat free Balsamic Vinegarette, Eggplant Garlic Spread, Honey Wheat Pretzel sticks, Sun Dried Tomato Brushetta, Swiss Almond crunch Cookies, TJ Mini Chocolate Chips, Fruit sticks (like roll-ups), Vegetable Fried Rice, Chicken Shu Mai, Ground Buffalo STeak Burgers, Vegetable Egg Rolls, Tri Sampler Goat Cheese, Corn and Chile Tomato-Less Salsa, Fire Roasted Tomato Salsa, All frozen Vegetables, Pumpkin Butter, Red Pepper Spread w/Eggplant & Garlic, Trader Giotto's Spaghetti Lunghi (extra long spaghetti)
    ----

I like their Salsa Verde, and their Double Roasted Salsa is one of the best jarred salsa's I've had. If you get this, make sure it's the Double Roasted and not the Fire Roasted. Their Chimichurri Rice is fabulous! It's in a bag in the frozen section
    ----
    Dried fruits, nuts
    spices
    jarred Indian simmer sauces
    Plugra butter (cheapest around!)
    Frozen veggies (green beans are the BEST)
    Jarred marinated mushrooms (the only ones I can find w/out peppers)
    pasta
    varietal rice (wild, brown, jasmine, basmati, etc)
    oils
    gluten free products (with flavor, thank you!)
    seasonal stuff (this year it was Mexican Hot Chocolate cookies)
    Chocolate covered, peanut butter filled pretzels!
    ----
    Triple Ginger cookie thins (really delish)
    Cheeses-Port Salut, Compozola,most of their blue cheeses are good, mascarpone
    Creme Fraiche
    Spicey hummus
    capers
    Dijon mustard
    Roasted unsalted nuts
    DH likes Chas Shaw merlot (3$ here)
    most of their organic dairy products are good
    ----
    Multigrain vegetable lasagna (frozen)
    Chicken burritos (frozen)
    Brown basmati rice
    Parmesan cheese, grated
    Meyer lemons (in season, the only place I can get them locally)
    Flaxseed and soy tortilla chips
    Whole wheat pitas
    Nutty Chocolate breakfast bars (kids love 'em)
    Marinara sauce
    Whole wheat pastas
    Smoked salmon (fresh)
    Ak-Mak crackers - Stone ground whole wheat sesame flats
    Menage a trois sliced sweet peppers (frozen)
    Marinated tuna or mahi mahi steaks (frozen)
    Canned beans and tomatoes
    Fage Greek yogurt
    Harvest grains blend
    Orange champagne vinegar Makes a wonderful dressing
    Sweet & Spicy Pecans - Serve on a salad w/ above dressing and strawberries!
    ----
    GLUTEN FREE chocolate cake! It is yummy and worry free! A special treat for me. They also carry a variety of other products that make life easier -- pizza that doesn't taste like cardboard and GF tortilla (rice flour).
    ----
    frozen Pineapple...
    Almond Meal...
    General Tso's sauce...
    Chamomile/Lavender hand soap.
    Envirokidz cereal
    Ketchup.
    Pad Thai
    Brown Rice Pasta
    Italian chopped salad
    ----
    blue cheese, crumbled feta and fresh mozzarella. I love their caponata. Unsweetened vanilla almond breeze (great for low-carbers). I also use their soaps - body - clothes and dishes.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

The above was how I relayed our TJs suggestions over to the Kitchen Table forum. I couldn't resist being an enabler for someone who was blessed with a new Trader Joe's in their neighborhood!

• Fori
    14 years ago

I've been trying their frozen stuff a little more since my kitchen's been torn up for a remodel, so I'm glad to see this again!

I've been enjoying the turkey meatballs. Easy portion/calorie control and a decent lunch with a glop of TJ's marinara (a good, plain basic sauce that can be doctored or heated straight out of the jar if you're kitchenless). I fed some to my dad who didn't realize they were turkey, so even my mom was impressed. I'm not saying they're homemade, but they're good for frozen!

• sffog
    14 years ago

i did not realize we are so spoiled in the SF bay area, i have 3 TJ 20 minutes or less to choose from depending on city traffic

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

I like the butternut bisque in the carton, and the peppermint teabags are my favorite from anywhere.

• aliceinmd
    14 years ago

We love the TJ cornbread mix. It is moist, has lots of corn kernels in it, and is just sweet enough. They run out of it every year at Thanksgiving, I assume because people use the cornbread in their turkey dressing. Good stuff!