SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Kefir grains: how do I know if I have the right kind?

I was given a jar of kefir 2 days ago by a friend. She gave me some basic directions, and directed me also to a site in Australia, which I read over thoroughly today. She had only been making it a few weeks herself, so I don't think I can ask her. She got her original grains from a mutual classmate (who has since dropped out), who said she had been making it for a "long time", and mentioned that the cultures have to be passed along live.

I let it ferment for 2 days, and strained it for the first time at noon today. That might have been a long time to ferment, but my house is on the cold side, ~ 67 F daytime and 63 F at night.

So here is my question: my grains don't look anything like the ones I saw online, in stills or You Tube videos. Mine look like very small curd cottage cheese, not like cauliflower, and are white, not yellowish white. Nothing looked connected together.

How do I know I have the right kind? Is it that they are too young?

The liquid I strained off definitely had a more solid part, and a more yellowish whey. There were some bubbles. Taste was like sour milk, more or less. Not as sour or tangy as yogurt. My husband (who is from the middle east and loves plain yogurt) didn't like it at all, so I think I will be drinking this by myself. It was tolerable by itself, but blended with some frozen blueberries, much better. The only kefir I have ever tasted was the flavored kind from Lifeway: years back, a free sample.

Comments (8)