SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riddei

New construction massive water damage

riddei
16 years ago

Purchased a new construction home in three'ish years ago. Window was leaking on the day we moved in. Complained to the builder, he caulked and played with flashing... Windows continue to leak on and off over the next couple of Springs "wind driven rain events".

Couldn't take it any more. Called a second contractor for what I thought would be a fix to the one leaking window. Found massive water penetration, soaking wet OSB with holes in it, rotten framing. Not just on the one wall, but around the house, all windows...

Windows not flashed properly. 100K estimates for complete removal of all cedar siding, replacement and repair of all rotten sheathing, insulation, framing, windows, etc., etc...

Builder out of business with housing market downturn.

We will be rebuilding with best practices used for house-wrap, and window installation. We will look into the modern "drain-wrap" (DuPont, Valeron, Benjamin/Obdyke/BBA Fiberboard, Pactiv, etc.).

Bottom line is, don't skimp on providing the best building envelope you possibly can! This was a beautiful (to the eye) home. No-one had any idea what was happening beneath.

I have learned more about water intrusion than I ever imagined.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio