SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runninginplace

Dumb Personal Finance/Retirement Question

runninginplace
10 years ago

I've been searching for some professional help lately to start getting organized for retirement--and definitely am interested in people's experiences in this area.

However, my initial dumb question is this: when reviewing charts of benefits such as social security or pensions, there is usually a tier-level of what one receives at different ages. For example and using assumed values, if I retire at 62 my SS benefit is $1000, at 65 it is $1500, and at 70 it is $2000. I believe these values are based on the beneficiary continuing to work till 62, 65 etc.

But what happens if, say, I leave the work force at 62 YO but don't start taking SS payments? If I'm no longer paying into the system but not yet collecting do the benefits continue to accrue, ie would the benefit still rise from the $1000 level if I waited till 65 or later--obviously not to the same level as if I was still contributing but some growth? Or if you aren't contributing does that amount simply stay the same?

I can't seem to find anything online that answers this so any wise or experienced folks out there who could enlighten me...much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Ann

Comments (22)