SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rossryan_gw

Magnavox Chasis # 27y100-00aa , Model # RS2744 A402

rossryan
18 years ago

Hello,

I have a Magnavox set that displays a very dark picture. Brightness controls set to max has little effect. Any ideas what could be the problem?

In truth, it is an older set (1995), but having inherited it, and after it tasted my blood (sliced my hand and my leg, don't ask), I'd like to kick it into life. I've had a once over, checking the solder joints, but saw nothing amiss.

I tried removing the motherboard, failed, and put it back in. This time it did not turn on. Removed the motherboard again, replugged everything back in, nothing. Read a few posts, on another forum, about resoldering the joints, and went to work (I used a liquid trace pen, only thing handy). After cleaning up a few traces, it turns on again, but still displays a dark screen (turn off the lights to see it, but it's there, as are the channel numbers).

Many Thanks,

Ryan

Comments (10)

• pee_wee
    18 years ago

If you used a "liquid trace pen", the connections are not repaired(if that was the problem).

Try this, in the back of the set, usually on the right side, is the high voltage transformer.(that's the one that has the large wire going to the suction cup on the picture tube)

There are two controls on the back of the transformer. The upper one is the focus, the lower one is the "screen control". Mark the screen control(I suggest that you mark the control with a dab of "white-out"), this is so you can return it to the original spot if it doesen't cure your problem. If misadjusted, it can cause the set to 'shut-down'.

Turn the control clockwise about 10 min(as shown on a clock). See if this increases the brightness, without washing out the video. Don't turn too high, as this will wash out the pict and cause small, fine diagonal lines across the picture.

Good luck,

pw

• rossryan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmm. No dice. I turned it 10 min, as you suggested, no change. I turned it a little more, still nothing.

Were this an LCD screen, and not a CRT, I would think that the backlight had gone out.

The picture is there (again, it can be seen if you turn off all the lights), but its intensity is lacking. It's like the screen isn't getting enough current or voltage. Perhaps I should just begin replacing tranformers until something works...

As for the trace pen, hmmm. Maybe I should break out the soldering iron and give it a whirl. If the trace is the issue, and it cannot carry enough voltage...

-Ryan

• rossryan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmm. Question for you, Pee Wee. There is a brown ring around a component identified as IC410. This is the same component that I used the trace pen on (found the soldering iron). The ring was there before I traced it (the ring is why I traced it). Do you have any idea what this components is? Could this be the source of the problem?

-Ryan

• pee_wee
    18 years ago

IC410 (STR30130) is the b+ regulator. This controls the +130v to the collector of the horz output transistor.

If this voltage is missing, the set won't turn on.

pw

• rossryan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That would explain the first problem (why I had to resolder it).

Playing with the screen control had no effect. Any other ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks,
    Ryan

• rossryan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmm. I removed IC410 (STR), and may be off to remove a few more components (couple of suspect capacitors). Which components would you replace, and where would you get them?

Thanks,
    Ryan

• pee_wee
    18 years ago

You should NEVER remove a component, UNLESS there is a REASON. Being "suspect" is not good enough.

You MAY need to remove a component, to check it out of the circuit, to verify its condition.

If you don't have a "meter", you need to get one. You don't need an expensive one, a cheap one will do fine. Measure the voltage at pin 4 of IC410. It should measure 130v dc, with set on. It should measure 15v dc, with the set off.

If these results are met, then the power supply is ok. This includes the resistors, diodes, capacitors and ics.

Question: does turning the contrast/brightness control up and down have any effect? If so, what.

With the set on, with the original remote, press the reset button 3 times and observe the results.

pw

• rossryan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have a multimeter. I used the continuity test and measured the voltage for an open circuit. When I say suspect, I mean the component had burn marks around it. :)

Contrast/brightness has no effect (or rather, no discernable effect) on overall brightness. And I do not have the original remote.

Thanks,
    rossryan

• pee_wee
    18 years ago

One other question. After the set has been on for about 15 minutes, then you turn it off, do you see any light on the screen?

pw

• rossryan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES