SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

For Doucanoe - Cookie Science (long)

lpinkmountain
14 years ago

The things I endure in the name of science!

:)

So I experimented this weekend on your oatmeal chocolate chip recipe that you posted that you had a lot of trouble with. I wanted to see if I could figure out what variables might be responsible for your problems. Also, it fit in nicely with my quest for my perfect oatmeal cookie.

So here's the recipe:

Pecan Supremes

Mrs. Fields Cookie Book

2 c AP flour

1 tsp soda

1/4 tsp salt

3/4 c quick oats

3/4 c dark brown sugar (packed)

3/4 c white sugar

1 c salted butter, softened

2 large eggs

2 tsp vanilla

1 c chopped pecans

1 c semisweet chocolate morsels

Preheat oven to 300F,

In a medium bowl combine flour, soda, salt & oats, mix well with whisk and set aside.

In large bowl, blend sugars with electric mixer at medium speed, Add butter and mix to form a grainy paste. Scrape down sides of bowl, then add eggs and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until fully combined.

Add the flour mixture, pecans and chocolate chips, blend at low speed until combined. Do not overmix.

Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets. bake 18-20 minutes. Immediately transfr cookies with a spatula to a cool, flat surface.

And here's the changes I made, which was not really part of the experiment, just due to the way I cook.

I used 1/2 unbleached white flour and 1/2 AP whole wheat flour. It didn't say "whole wheat pastry flour" which is what is best for cookies, it was just what I had right now in the freezer, it was store brand whole wheat flour. So that was 1 cup white and 1 cup whole wheat. I like the extra fiber. I used 1 cup oatmeal for the same reason.

Most importantly, I used 1/2 butter and 1/2 margarine, and I am convinced that is the secret to my newfound cookie success, but more on that later.

I also used only 1 tsp. of vanilla because that is enough and vanilla is expensive.

I used walnuts instead of more expensive pecans, and I only used 3/4 cup. Other than that, followed the recipe.

The first batch I made with the oven at 300 and used my heavy duty aluminum sheet with parchment paper.

As you can see, they turned out good but took forever to bake so I got impatient and turned up the temp. to 325. Of course you should not do this in an experiment, change one of the constant variables, but all I can say to that is "PFTTT!"

Then I experimented with the aluminum without parchment paper, an old steel tray with the nonstick finish worn off but with parchment paper, and a cheapie nonstick that I had previously banished.

(Just Aluminum cookie tray)
(Steel tray with worn nonstick, used with parchment paper)
(Cheapie nonstick tray)

All I can say is they all turned out good except the ones on the cheapie tray, which seemed not to spread as well and got brown on the bottom before cooking in the middle. Those were the best to eat warm though! BTW, I sampled a cookie from every batch to compare. I know, it was a tough task but someone had to do it!

I also took a photo of my cookie scoop, which I think is 1.5 TBLSP or so. I dunno, it's not the biggest size or the smallest, it's the in-between size.

(Cookie scoop)

My conclusion is that the biggest difference I have made in my cookie baking is NOT the pans, although they are VERY helpful, but to use 1/2 margarine and 1/2 butter, as opposed to all butter. Now I know some people do not like margarine, but if you use 1/2 and 1/2 you get the taste of butter with the shape and texture contributions of margarine. Neither butter or marg. is very healthy IMHO, but when you are eating a cookie you're already venturing into murky waters health and diet wise, so the small amount of trans fat vs sat. fat in the least of your worries. Fat and sugar is what makes a cookie a cookie! I don't have a problem with it anyway, I eat one or two cookies almost every day with coffee in the afternoon or for breakfast and I don't think it is a problem as long as I can stick to two and it is in balance with what else I eat during the day, which has usually zero trans fats.

These were very good cookies BTW!

Don't give up!!

Comments (8)