SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jude31

Follow-up of Lost Loves (Food that is)

jude31
15 years ago

I have really enjoyed reading about the "old days", but most of what was written was foreign to me. I was born in '31 and grew up in a very rural area. My father died when I was 9 and there 5 of us children...no car, but a lot of the neighbors didn't have one either. A "rolling store" came around periodically and my mother would often trade eggs, etc for the things we didn't grow in our big garden. On occasion I remember going to a little grocery store near the elementary school I attended. We could actually get the southern combination of R.C. cola and a Moon Pie but I loved the Grapette soda. My mother could make the best fried pies and often when we came home from school she would have fresh fried raisin pies. Never heard of anyone else making them. When I graduated from high school I started working "in town" and I vividly remember going to the movies, then to the Krystal for their square hamburgers with the chopped onions fried along with them and the buns steamed on top of the burgers. They still make them that way but they no longer cost 12 cents. After we ate at the Krystal we would go to the original Krispy Kreme donut place and get hot donuts for 5 cents a piece. Ah, such memories.

jude

Comments (15)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals