SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Follow up on my 'house guest'

neetsiepie
13 years ago

Well, hate to say it but BIL is still here. DH and I have had many discussions about him and it's a battle I'm just not going to win. I've made peace with that, but I'm not happy about it.

BIL does have a full time job, but apparently doesn't make much. And his paycheck is garnished due to unpaid medical bills. He and his wife have always been poor money managers, so that doesn't surprise me. And apparently, they had become several months behind on rent and he feels it's his responsibility to get her rent caught up. So he gives her the majority of his paycheck. Since he's been here he's contributed a grand total of $110 toward his household expenses.

He eats our food, uses our toiletries, laundry, etc. He has done 'chores' such as raking the billions of leaves in our yard and splitting and stacking fire wood, but as I explained to DH, that isn't really contributing to the household expenses, as those are things that have to be done anyway.

Recently I did something that made me feel so petty and unhappy with myself. We'd run out of sweetener (I don't use sugar). The container had been getting low and I was just waiting to see what would happen. Typically a small box lasts us a couple of months, so I don't buy it often. Well, finally the jar was completely empty, so when I was at the grocery I bought more. BUT I put it up in a little used cupboard, out of sight. That made me feel sooo crappy!! That evening BIL asked me if we had any honey stashed anywhere (no) and the next morning he asked me if there was any sugar stashed away. I dug some out of the back of the pantry (I never bake!) and he mumbled something about buying some sweetener on Friday when he gets paid.

My thought was it was about time...sheesh, I'm supplying this guy with food for crying out loud, the least he could do is kick in a couple of bucks here and there for things like that!

Anyway, my understanding is his wife refuses to reconcile, and he commented that he needed to learn to start cooking...not at our house, for us...no, that appears to be MY job...because he'll need to do that when he's out on his own. So does this mean there is an end in sight? I think so...don't know a date, but I think if I continue to make things not so pleasant, he'll make the move a bit faster.

I really, really hate being subversive, but I have no choice, really. I have talked to BIL about contributing money, he knows we can't afford to support him, especially since he works, but he claims he will give me what he can.

So...that's that story so far. I've learned to do things that make me happy...like go visit girlfriends and my kids, etc. I don't know what will happen for Christmas...usually my DD and her BF stay at our place that night, but with BIL here, not sure how that might work. MIL will be here that evening, so unless he goes to one of his childrens homes, he'll be doing it in OUR crazy fashion. Oh well!

Comments (17)