SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littleblu87

Sugar/Pavements Ants in House

littleblu87
10 years ago

My house is around 25 years old and about four years ago I started getting what I believe are sugar/pavement and/or little black ants in it. It started on the kitchen counter, but this year they're coming from the kitchen counter, the kitchen floor under the refrigerator, the downstairs bathroom (beside the kitchen and refrigerator), the upstairs bathroom (above the kitchen), and my bedroom window (opposite side of the house).

I have put a product called Terro (liquid borax, I think) in the areas they seem to be coming from. But it takes a few weeks before they seem completely gone. This year, once I get rid of them in one spot, they pop up someplace else. And every year they come back.

My thoughts are that I should use baits that they can take back to their colony so that the entire colony is killed. The Terro product is supposed to do all that but there must be more than one colony and they must be inside the house somewhere..

Right now my family is having a debate: should the indoor cracks and crevices be sealed or not? An example: the ants are coming in on the kitchen counter through a small crack in the wall. The crack is not on the outside wall though. Should the crack be sealed? Some thoughts are that the ants will just get in someplace else that could be worse and more difficult to access to put down bait.

And does anyone know why these ants just won't die and keep coming back? It's annoying as heck. Last week I poured myself a cup of coffee and after putting in the creamer, I noticed a dead ant in the coffee. It must have been in the coffee pot when the automatic timer went off, because I checked my cup before pouring the coffee. And the coffeemaker is on the opposite counter from where they're coming in. Who wants to wake up to that! Ugh!

Comments (7)