SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacy3_gw

HELP! can I freeze already risen bread dough?

stacy3
16 years ago

I made Sol's honey rolls today (YUM!)- and went through all the steps and formed them into rolls to rise for the final hour when I took Will to his orthodontist appt.

While there we got a call begging us to meet a friend out for a quick dinner to celebrate another friend's birthday -- and we just got home.

The rolls are formed - in pans - but I would love to save them for "fresh baked" another time - can I?

My house was very cool while we were gone.

Sol's Honey Rolls

1 cup milk

1/2 cup honey

1/2 cup butter [1 stick]

2 teaspoons salt

1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar*

2 pkges. dry yeast

1/2 cup warm water [110º-115ºF]

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

6 - 6 1/2 cups All Purpose flour

Heat the milk, add butter and salt. Set aside while butter melts. Stir in the honey.

In another bowl, combine the warm water, yeast and sugar. Let it sit until yeast is completely dissolved, about 6-7 minutes.

Combine milk mixture with yeast mixture. And stir in the beaten eggs. Beat in 4 cups flour. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft, but not sticky dough.

Place dough in greased bowl, turning to coat both sides. Cover and allow dough to rise 1 hour. Punch dough down, and allow to rise another hour.

Punch down again, and shape dough into rolls. Let it rise again 45 minutes to an hour or until doubled in volume. Preheat your oven to 375ºF and bake rolls for 25 minutes or until a deep golden brown. For a very soft crust, brush rolls with melted butter as soon as they come out of the oven.

Note: You could omit the sugar from this recipe altogether. I sometimes use about a teaspoon of the honey called for in the recipe to feed the yeast instead of the sugar.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus