SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Doucanoe, I made your egg foo yung recipe!

shambo
11 years ago

I had some bean sprouts, water chestnuts, & mushrooms left over from a stir fry the other day. I wanted to do something a little different with them before they went bad and remembered a thread a while ago about egg foo yung. Both my husband & I love the stuff, but for some reason I thought it was beyond my expertise. Well, I gave your recipe a try, and it was delicious. I didn't have any shrimp on hand -- not even some chicken or pork -- so it was all vegetables but still great.

We had two omelet patties for dinner last night, and ate the remaining two today for lunch. They were great reheated in my toaster oven -- no mush. When I asked my husband how he liked them, he said, "You should make these once a week!" Since his CHF diagnosis, we haven't gone out to Chinese restaurants, and I know he misses them. This dish will certainly make him feel less deprived.

The only changes I needed to make to accommodate his low sodium diet was to leave out the salt entirely, use very low sodium chicken broth & soy sauce for the sauce, and cut the soy sauce quantity in half. Even with those changes, it was still delicious. Thanks for sharing that recipe.

Egg Foo Yung
Adapted from Madame Wong's Long Life Chinese Cookbook
Doucanoe

1/2 lb fresh shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut into small pieces
1 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp corn starch
2 tsp dry sherry, divided
5 eggs1 tsp soy sauce
4 T oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 scallion, chopped
4 water chestnuts, chopped
1/4 c fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 c fresh bean sprouts
2 c oil for deep frying

Dry shrimp, add 1/2 salt, cornstarch and 1 tsp sherry. Mix well.

Beat eggs in large bowl. Add soy sauce, remaining salt and sherry. Set aside.

Heat 2 T oil in wok to 350F. Stir fry onion, scallion and water chestnuts 1 minute. Add mushrooms and stir fry 1 minute more. Remove to plate or bowl.

Haeat 2 T oil in wok to 400F. Stir fry shrimp mixture and bean sprouts 1 minute or until shrimp turn pink. Let cool.

Add all ingredients to egg mixture. Heat 2 c oil in wok to 400F. Gently ladle 1/4 of egg mixture into wok. Deep fry until golden brown, turn over and deep fry other side one minute. Remove patty to platter and keep warm while frying the other 3 patties. Serve with sauce.

Sauce:

1 c chicken stock
2 T soy sauce
1 T cornstarch dissolved in 1 T water
salt and pepper to taste

Bring stock to a boil, add soy sauce. Thicken with dissolved cornstarch, season with salt and pepper

This post was edited by shambo on Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 18:42

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths