SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meenajo

So confused about construction loan

MeenaJo
12 years ago

If our contract is for $215 and we owe $20 on our land, ultimately our construction loan request would be for $235. If the plan appraises at exactly $235 we would receive $199,750 (85%) to build it and need to use cash to cover the rest. Is this cash considered a down payment when we finalize the loan? We want to make sure and avoid PMI.

If the plan appraises for higher than the cost, or if we end up not spending as much (haha), (in either scenario being able to build the house on what is lent (the 85%) without using extra cash) is it better to keep the cash and pay it all at closing as a down paymentâ¦or use it throughout the building process to pay for things to keep the overall loan lower? (Sorry for that insanely long sentence). I know on paper this would have the same affectâ¦but what about from the bank's point of view? Also, if we use cash along the way we wonâÂÂt have to make as many draws from the loan, thereby avoiding interest.

We just want to know the best way to use our cashâ¦along the way, or all at once at closing. And whether either of those choices will affect PMI.

So sorry if this is confusing, I'm making my own head hurt. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (4)