SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarapamela_gw

So Confused About Materials

sarapamela
12 years ago

We are trying to decide what kind of crown molding and cabinets to put in our soon-to-be renovated kitchen. Different contractors offer different brands and types of cabinets, and I am hearing opposite things about the materials from each one. Can someone please give me impartial and accurate answers to the following questions about MDF, particle board, thermofoil, plywood, etc.?

Is a cabinet door made out of MDF really considered to be a solid wood door (as one builder tried to tell me)? How does MDF differ from particle board? Is one better than the other in a rather humid environment, or are they the same? I've heard that MDF and Thermofoil are sealed, so they won't absorb water like wood, and I've also heard the opposite. I've heard that MDF baseboards and crown molding look just as good as wood but are more flexible, so they work better and "line up" better on walls that aren't 100% straight/even....and also that wood is the only way to go. Needless to say, I am very confused.

I don't know if it matters that we want white cabinets. If we can get them, we'd like to have some w/ beadboard doors and others a simple door in the same color. (Even though the kitchen is small, I'm afraid all beadboard would look too busy.)

For the cabinet boxes, I assume plywood is stronger than the particle board. This is a vacation home, and we are on a budget, so I don't know if it is necessary to have the boxes made out of plywood, or is better to put the money into solid wood (maple?) doors and save some $ by using MDF or particle board boxes??? It seems that everyone wants to tell you that the type of cabinets they sell are the best....and that the crown moldings they use (wood vs. "man-made") are "the only way to go"!? I'm even getting conflicting information from reps who sell both solid wood and MDF and thermofoil, so I'd really appreciate hearing from those who can shed some light on all this for me!

Comments (7)