SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

What makes teenagers want to hang out at your house?

Sueb20
14 years ago

I'm just full of questions today! I have two teenage boys, age 17 and 14. We have a finished, very casual basement playroom with a good-size TV, 2 video game systems, and a pool table. We have the normal amount of food in the cabinets. One thing we have that maybe some of their friends don't have is a 9 year old girl whose toys are all over the basement, but I don't know if the boys care about that or not. Each of the boys has 1-2 particular friends where a group of kids always hangs out. I'm not sure what the exact appeal of these other houses is, but I often wonder why my house isn't the "hang out" house. I don't think it's me! -- I'm nice to the kids, I let them have their space, I let them raid my cabinets, etc. I know for a fact that they aren't involved in anything 'bad' at the other kids' houses -- in every case, parents are home and nothing funny is going on. The worst thing that might happen is they have too much Coke and come home wired at 11 pm. So, it's not the opportunity to misbehave that's attractive. So I guess my question is, if your house is a place where teenagers tend to hang out, why do you think that is? I'm sure I could start by asking my kids this same question, but I thought I'd ask some parents too!

Comments (31)