SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonshadow_gw

SparkPeople

moonshadow
13 years ago

I might be the last to hear of this site, lol. Apparently it's been on a lot of news shows, etc. but wanted to share. Oh, and it's FREE, and we like free! ;) It's a guide for healthy eating, weight loss, can be a guide for any one or combination of heart healthy eating, lowering cholesterol, sugar, etc.

So I got some blood work back, need to watch my cholesterol and sugar. And shed some pounds gained after loss of my mother (Sad or blue, I head straight for the sweets).

Just happened to stumble on SparkPeople when I was reading a consumer review site on healthy eating plans (I despite the word "diet"). It was among top 4 and only free one.

My first week just ended. I was more aware of what I was eating, but didn't want to alter it drastically so I could see what I've been doing. If you diligently put in what you've consumed, it's amazing and eye opening to see your chart showing where your nutrition/lifestyle needs attention compared to what they calculated as healthy guidelines for you.

To start you plug in your height, weight, gender, age, any special needs you want to include, from hypertension, cardiac, diabetes, allergies, etc. They calculate BMI too. Then generate guidelines for daily meals, exercise, etc. They recommend 2 lbs weight loss per week. But you can tweak your goal (they prevent you from going over xx pounds a week, I forget how many tho). Any exercise you enter is deducted from your daily intake.

You can track very specific exercise under cardio & strength categories, either follow their suggestions or put in custom based on your abilities, equipment you use, etc. Oh, & water intake, too. If you want to lose weight, they'll deduct the calories burned from your daily intake.

Once your basics are in, then just take a few clicks & searches, enter your meals/snacks throughout each day, exercise, water, etc. It tracks what you're consuming throughout the day, with subtotals and then grand total end of day. Your consumption totals are continually compared to the recommended guidelines based upon info you entered at Start. (Calories, sodium, fat, carbs, etc.)

After a week of pretty much my current eating habits, I was able to generate a weekly summary with graphs. That's very eye opening. For me, my protein intake is too low, carbs high (sweets), fat grams borderline high, magnesium & calcium are very deficient, sodium is perfect (don't like salts).

It takes some getting used to, and doesn't work if you don't input faithfully, but that part is fast. I've barely scratched the surface, but wanted to share. (It even has a phone app for when you're not at home. But mine is acting up a bit.)

Here is a link that might be useful: SparkPeople

Comments (14)

• polly929
    13 years ago

I have the app in my droid phone which I always carry on me. It is great for tracking calories, and excercise. I love it!

• moonshadow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know there are going to be times I want to use it on my phone (like yesterday), but it froze up and then took me back to the start page. :/ I have a blackberry tho, someone commented it did the same on her BB.

• polly929
    13 years ago

I don't have a problem on my droid. I have another app that is strictly for calorie counting as well, it's called calorie counter. You can input a food you ate in a search like say an english muffin, and it will look up the calories for you, and you click I ate this today and it will log your calories. Maybe you could try this one?

• moonshadow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! If this one doesn't work out, I'll look for that one. (I pulled the battery, sometimes one or two times of that fixes blips ;)

• punamytsike
    13 years ago

I love the website too. What I most loved about it, was that I could generate my own cooked food labels with calories and so on. I cook most of the stuff from scratch and that was very useful feature. You just type in your recipe, split it up for portions and then save for future use as well.
    It was also very eye opening that I do not get enough calcium in my diet. I struggle with that all the time, as I do not like to take supplements.
    I should go back and start using it regularly. Another useful feature, they have regular tracking of common things in your diet but you can modify it and add additional things to track. Great site :)

• yborgal
    13 years ago

Thnak you so much for telling us about this site. I've bookmarked it and I know I'll make good use of the information offered.
    I love that I can get nutritional information on my original recipes.

Thanks again!

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

I registered for Spark and will try it; I'm already using myfooddiary.com, and I pay 10$ a month for it, So far, I find myfooddiary more user friendly than Spark, your usual foods get stored in your "fridge" , and it's faster to fill out the daily food diary.

If Spark works out for me, I'll stop my paying food diary.
    But after trying to enter my 4 breakfast items on Spark, I'm not finding it easy to use, but that may be the learning curve. I'll try again later.

I weigh myself every day so it's nice to track your fluctuations over a year.
    I don't panic if I go up a bit because I can tell that it happens occasionally ,
    the important thing is that it makes me more cautious about my cravings for the next few days.

• kellyeng
    13 years ago

I also use myfooddiary.com. Super easy, I like that you can copy the food from a previous day which is really helpful when I tend to eat the same breakfast everyday during the week. I'm trying to keep my fat intake below 20% and protein above 35% and it tracks these percentages well.

• moonshadow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

But after trying to enter my 4 breakfast items on Spark, I'm not finding it easy to use, but that may be the learning curve. I'll try again later.

There's a learning curve, I've only just begun, but it gets better with staying with it. When you click "Add a food", which leads to search foods, if you can't find what you want, be sure to tick under the lower far right of the search box "search food shared by other members" (that's a gold mine). Then once you find the food in the search results, click to highlight. (This is the step where you'd add it to your meal.) But below the search box you'll "Add to Which" (meal). Just under that is a little box you can tick to "Add to Favorites". Then you don't have to keep looking for the same things. From then on, when you click "Add a Food" and get the search screen, you just click the large "Favorites" tab at the top & that's where they are stored.

HTH, I'm very new myself! And I found the demo videos (which I hate to watch) really did help. They're only a couple minutes long per step.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

thanks for the info, and I'll take the time to watch the videos.

• lyfia
    13 years ago

I've been using it for a couple of years now. It is a great way to keep track and see what you're really eating. It does have a learning curve to figure out how to best use it.

I have most of my recipes in there that we use now so it is easy to add foods as well. I often have the whole week filled out ahead of time as I only grocery shop once a week and have all meals planned out. This also helps keep me in check with what I'm eating.

• moonshadow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I need some... I don't know what. I gained a freaking pound and a half my first week. I wasn't white knuckling it with sticking to food, but was definitely far more conscientious. And I've cut out on the 'comfort' food (evening sweets) I was leaning on while mourning my mom's passing and amped up the exercise (which I wasn't doing any of because I felt like a slug). Mostly right now I'm trying to get a handle on where I'm at nutrition-wise so I can tweak it. It's been very eye opening.

I had lost a pound in about ten days per my MD's scale, but I didn't count that because I wasn't trying, get water weight fluctuations (thank you perimeno) and had only been using SP program a few days on my follow-up visit to him. Regardless, my overall total for one week is up 1.5 lbs? My progress graph is going the wrong way...waaaah :(

• lyfia
    13 years ago

Did you gain weight from increasing muscle tone?

• moonshadow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kind of doubt it, I was focusing on cardio to start. My B.P. is up some (from all the stress of recent months probably). My M.D. put me on a water pill to lower BP and for fluid retention (hormones again). Maybe that's the problem right now, water weight?